Turntable - Getting Started - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 05:39 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

My first Tt attempt, using chopping board (12 from Amazon) as the platter, with solid bronze elements.

Click the image to open in full size.

Tt
Old 9th January 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Damn sexy! So how does it sound?
Old 9th January 2013, 06:19 PM   #13
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

loving the cable tie!...
Old 9th January 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I drilled the hole for the spindle a mm to big. So it has a rather big wobble.

Still played though, albeit with inconsistent speed! Relegated to the trials cupboard for now. Although I may turn a new insert to ensure its centre this time.

String thread worked great.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
You're going to make a platter? I'm impressed.
If I'm going to do it I might as well do it right. Although I'll probably get it CNC'd since I don't have a Lathe anymore.

Quote:
Have you heard a lot of different turntable designs?
This is a good point and something I didn't really think about. I just assumed a heavier platter would be more stable and the less resonance the better. As it is I've only ever really listened to two turntables on good systems. So the answer is no.

I'll probably just go with a more traditional sized platter. 1"-1.5" or so to start with.

Quote:
Just to pick up on what you said about using wood for the plinth. It's very unusual for solid wood to be used as a plinth material. The main reason is instability. Wood tends to shrink, expand, twist or any combination of the above over time. If you do use solid wood try to use a hardwood and a bit of wood that's been around for a long time so has stabilised. Even then, if it has been in a very different environment from your living room it could still warp.

Another reason is that I don't know that it sounds that good. Wood tends to be quite resonant. A wood veneer or laminate might sound better?

I was wondering about that. I have seen a few builds use MDF or plywood laminated together. But wasn't sure about real wood.

Perhaps someone who has tried building a table out of wood could jump in here?

Quote:
What were you thinking of doing with the glass?
Essentially I want to build the plinth out of two different interchanging kinds of wood (so it looks striped) and inlay a piece of (mostly) frosted glass on the top. The motor would come up through both and the platter which would probably be acrylic to match the frosted glass would be above like normal. That's basically it.

Great looking table Studio Au, bummer about the wobble. Don't mind if I learn from your mistakes I hope. I'll try to make sure I get the rights sized spindle hole.
Old 10th January 2013, 10:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Most turntables have a geared system with an outboard motor, and string or tread turning the plater. Stops the vibrations coming through. So are you looking at direct drive?
Old 10th January 2013, 10:18 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Starting to build a Turntable

Hi, A friend of my can supply a complete T/T kit with outboard DC motor pot and 12inch arm for under US$500. He also supplies T/T parts and can manufacture to you design. He sells on E/B as Temaadaudio
Old 10th January 2013, 07:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
Most turntables have a geared system with an outboard motor, and string or tread turning the plater. Stops the vibrations coming through. So are you looking at direct drive?

Yes I'm looking at direct drive. With an Idler Drive motor. I understand there have been some hybrids in the past, idler motors with bands. But I want to try a direct drive, as all I've had all my live have been AC motors with bands. It's not a great turntable but even after having it professionally set up and replaced the band I've still noticed the occasional slush (I believe that's the correct terminology). So I would like to try a direct drive as comparison.

Thanks Tabarddn, I'll look into his kits. I think I want to try doing it myself first but it's good to have that option.
Old 10th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniflic View Post
It's not a great turntable but even after having it professionally set up and replaced the band I've still noticed the occasional slush (I believe that's the correct terminology).
I don't think I've heard the term "slush" before. As a point of reference, we need to know what turntable you have now.

jeff
Old 10th January 2013, 07:41 PM   #20
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniflic View Post
If I'm going to do it I might as well do it right. Although I'll probably get it CNC'd since I don't have a Lathe any more.
Like I say, impressive. Most people just use the platter off a donor deck. I think getting it centric and balanced might be harder than you think but by the sounds of it you've got some engineering skill so maybe not?

Quote:
I just assumed a heavier platter would be more stable and the less resonance the better.
That's the thing, better is subjective. There is no absolute better in Hi-Fi. Most things are a trade-off. As you start to 'damp' stuff you can remove 'colouration' but also all the life and energy with it.

Quote:
Essentially I want to build the plinth out of two different interchanging kinds of wood (so it looks striped) and inlay a piece of (mostly) frosted glass on the top.
Sounds interesting. Glass will be a tricky material for the top-plate though. Do you have someone who can machine it? You'll need a hole for the motor and the bearing at least. What about the arm? If you mount the arm directly to it you'll need a hole for that too and you're then stuck with that geometry unless you want to make a new top-plate. Where is the power switch going to go?

My experience of trying to get glass cut very precisely is not good. Most glaziers are used to cutting glass for windows, were a millimetre or two here and there doesn't matter that much. They start sweating when you want holes exact sizes in exact places. Then they muck it up!

An alternative might be acrylic. You can drill that yourself and it's far less resonant than glass. You can get it in lots of different thickness's and colours.

A laminate of different woods is a good idea. It'll be stronger and more stable. I've seen laminate platters too.

Were you planning on a dust cover? Have you got an arm in mind?

Hide this!Advertise here!