Nakamichi ZX 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Nakamichi ZX7 to repair and while all is work just fine and even when tuning procedures that are rather complicated work also very fine at recording the device actually doesnt go to record mode IE

Recording led is up but the player actually doesn't record and rec mute is always on

Any knowledge ? or ideas where to look at ?

Most likely there is a fault in the bias oscillator due to a bad "orange" PP capacitor or two. Sometimes as a result of a bad capacitor some other parts may blow. You really need to replace all these caps to prevent other faults (noisy PB and recording, frequency response variations, Dolby problems etc.) to occur. Visit the TapeHeads forum - plenty of good information and help there on tape-related matters.

Cheers

Alex

oki doki ...do you suggest that if there is anything wrong with the bias the deck will not come up in rec mode or disengage the rec mute ?

I will take a look at it but doesnt sound logical

thanks though

Kind regards
sakis

Hi Sakis,

Yes, have a look at the Q301-Q304 and C304-307. Usually one of the capacitors goes faulty (it is better to replace all four) and sometimes it takes one or more of the transistors with it.

Cheers

Alex

HI, I just have the same problem with my ZX-7, and I have replaced all the C304-C307, and the Q301-Q304. It worked for only about 4 or 5 mins, and then the rec mute light comes back, and azimuth calibrate and rec/play are not working again. I replaced Q304, & Q303 again, the recording works, but again for about 20 minutes or so. What would cause it to happen again, any suggestion? Thanks, James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.