South coast NSW antenna for ABC radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need to make an Antenna for my "new" troughline. Roof mounted, simple, probably only listening to JJJ and classic FM. (101.5 and 102.5? something like that) and I am assuming coming in from the same direction. Anyone else like me prepared to share there set up?
I see heaps of stuff on the net, big question is directional or not? I am sure they come from the same repeater, so maybe a YAGI?
Happy holidays

a masthead amplifier won't go wrong if you have gain issues.

I just use a discone for mine, I never listen to FM bcb tho, only aircraft on approach on the air bands.

Aside from that its shortwave whenever I can get the chance to listen in on a 80/40/20 meter inverted vee.

Last edited:
You need to assess the conditions.

If you're getting a strong signal you don't want a (very) directional antenna (they're all directional in horizontal polarization). They have a narrow beam and are more difficult to point.

You can ask somebody local to you.

You can test.

How to test:

Get one made from a piece of 300 ohm ladder feeder. Connect it up and see what you get. See if there's any difference between the channels you're interested in. Rotate it. You can buy a ready-made dipole or build something on a piece of board: http://www.wryr.org/Antenna_instructions.pdf

Try indoor first.

In the worst case you resort to an outdoor yagi with an antenna rotator and masthead amp.

That's it, really...

Oh, elevation makes a difference too.

Last edited:
Distance from transmitting source?

Terrain between it and you?

Your height above sea level, and the transmitters?

Your position - the highest point you can put an antenna - compared to the nearby terrain and/or buildings?

Power of the transmitting station(s).

Your area is: A) urban B) suburban C) rural

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.