2 phase DDS signal generator to run 2 phase AC sync motors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately I do not speak German :-( I was scrolling through, but I could not find a schematic diagram, that would be interesting. As I see it is microcontroller based, not dds, but just guessing, would be good to see the details. Its a good sign that they used LM3886 with success, I will try that. I will run that from stabilized psu. It is strange, but the power amp really counts at the end. Easy to distinguish between amps. It probably runs the 24V, because I see no output trafo and the LM3886 will not do 110Veff.
JG

It's designed for the 24v rega motor, needing a step-up transformer for higher voltage- which is why I don't use mine. The output quality is very good, in fact pretty close to perfect. it's adjustable for voltage in 0.01v increments and frequency in 0.01hz intervals.

If you are interested I can ask the guy gave mine to if he still has the schematic.

I get some LM3886 PCB from chipamp. Do you know a kit with stabilized PSU?

One thing I know for fact, to supply an old transistor based amp from my agilent programmable power supply gives better result than with a normal not regulated PSU (with quality capacitors). I think it is because the generator supply near 50Hz and the smallest ripple from the mains is interfering with it. (A battery supply would be good to try.)
In the other hand, a regulated PSU designed for the LM3886 would be much more than needed, because from the bench power supply there is no much difference if the motor is connected or not. With this (Leach) amp it was like 300mA without and 450-550mA with the motor.
The LM3886 can work from +-40V, so it should make the 24Veff easy (which is not needed, just about 15% less), so no output step up transformer should be needed.

ÜDV JG

Last edited:
I expect that you need to take extra care to keeep mains 50 Hz fields away from the turntable to avoid beating with the synthesised drive.

I have seen code for generating a PWM sine wave with a cheap Arduino board. It should be easy enough to modify this to get the second quadrature output. Each amplifier is only a few Watts as the motor is typically rated at about 3W. I am planning to use the TDA2050, which is easy to get here.

Hello, I would recommend to wait a bit with the TDA2050. I did tried before a TDA20x0 amp with bad result. Not from sound point of view, but it was instable with the motor connected directly, also it has heat issues. It just did not tolerate the inductive load. With a transformer between the motor and the amp (1:1) it was fine, but directly was not good. It may not be a problem if you run through a trafo anyway, but I see from different sources that lm3886 handle it fine. As I get home I check which TDA chip was that.
That was the first amp I tried, than the TA2026 (not sure it is the right number, the "class T" amp), that does not like the motor directly either. Than my old Leach, which works fine and also the best so far for sound. Than another transistor amp, with similar good result. So far the simple complementer output transistor amps worked the best for me. ....but, according to other threads, lm3886 should work as well.

JG

Last edited:
Experimenting with an L6470 3A 8-45V Stepper Driver Breakout Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver Module controlled by an Arduino Uno. £10 + £3 from Ebay. Driving an old printer stepper motor. Initial results promising - at least the motor is much smoother than my Project-1, 240v synchronous motor. I will post more as project (small "p") progresses but it'll be a slow job - don't hold your breath. Started as a simple re-plinth of turntable but now I fancy attempting a Bushman inspired plinth and a WTL arm. Basically, driver uses PWM to generate the 2 sine waves, allows acceleration & speed to be programmed (no more swapping pulley for 33/45).
If I want to be clever, a pitch control or even feedback could be added.

kevinkr, what mods?

Kevin,

I'm also using LM3886 in my design - works quite well. I used cheap amp boards purchased on eBay which I had to modify for stability.

What mods for stability? I was just thinking to buy an existing board and use it as an amp. Does this PS require a transformer to step up the voltage or is there enough gain?

As always I find your post succinct and informative.

thanx

stew

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stew,

Here are the details on the stability issue fixes specific to a particular eBay board I purchased. A properly designed pcb would not require these fixes as some of them would have been incorporated already..

Some details here: Single Phase Power Source (AC Regenerator) for Induction Motor Powered Turntables

More here: Single Phase Power Source (AC Regenerator) for Induction Motor Powered Turntables

(Note despite appearances the links link to different posts within the same thread.. lol)

The price for the board and kit of parts was so ridiculously low and the fix once known easy to implement so I have just continued to use and fix them..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.