playing bad recordings or bad vinyl - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 06:04 PM   #21
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I looked up the 2M Bronze, seems like a reasonably good cartridge so I would be looking at set up, phono pre-amplifier and the like.

I'd probably set the tracking force nearer the high end of the recommended range of 1.4 - 1.7gms..

I also note that it is a line contact type a geometry which is very unforgiving of set up errors so recheck that everything is correct. Lots of guidance to be found at Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable
Old 8th January 2013, 06:45 PM   #22
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdx View Post
I think it is the records: turning at lower speed lowers the high pitched sound, music can be heard in the background and is not clipping, only high frequency, I would say ultrasounds as people over 50 cannot hear it.

Does anyone knows of some type of filler that can cover the groove and alter the ultrasonic frequency response?
This is the best forum post I've seen in years! :0)

I'm afraid that without actually hearing your system it's impossible to say what's wrong with it, if anything. Unfortunately, there are no fillers available that might do what you suggests as all previous attempts at groove-filler have been commercial failures due to the unwanted side-effect of rendering the records unplayable.

Are there any Hi-Fi stores nearby that you could ask for help? They could check out your turntable for you.
Old 9th January 2013, 05:44 PM   #23
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
This is the best forum post I've seen in years! :0)
<snip>
Unfortunately, there are no fillers available that might do what you suggests as all previous attempts at groove-filler have been commercial failures due to the unwanted side-effect of rendering the records unplayable.

<snip>

Otherwise good advice to seek help from a local hifi shop if available.. A member local to you might be able to help as well.
Old 13th January 2013, 02:01 AM   #24
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree it is very weird... another possibility is the arm going into distortion for the last part of the song. I imply that the angle at the last record track would accentuate problems and lead to tracking problems for the needle.

Anyways, I am listening music tonight with a 50 $ cd player and the sound is just so awesome...
Old 13th January 2013, 10:54 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Indianajo,

to your statement about Rhino Records: I own the double album "Summer Of Love", Rhino RNDA 71106. It is well recorded, of excellent sound quality and not noisy at all. I think Rhino is not the worst repackager of popular music.

Best regards!
Old 19th January 2013, 04:14 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I think my set up is perfect... it is accurately picking up high frequency damage or poorly recorded or poor quality mastering records.
Old 19th January 2013, 09:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdx View Post
I think my set up is perfect... it is accurately picking up high frequency damage or poorly recorded or poor quality mastering records.
It's not quite that simple. A good, well-adjusted turntable should get as much music off the record as possible while ignoring as much of the noise as possible. Top turntables can be astonishingly quiet.

It sounds logical to say that if it picks up the high-frequency information on the recording it will also pick up the noise but it doesn't work that way. The types of sound differ enough that that it's possible to engineer the system to retrieve one while playing down the other.
Old 8th February 2013, 04:52 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi, I checked the cartridge alignment and stylus shape and it is all good.

Maybe I need to check azimuth and VTA... I have no way to set this accurately and not the tools to lossen the arm.
Old 8th February 2013, 07:28 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Could you borrow another turntable to compare? You need a reference point I think, this is getting you nowhere.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hifi stores, neighbors with turntables. You urbanites are living in a fantasy land. The last hifi store in 5 counties of 2 states near me closed in 1989. You can buy a vile car audio system or a 6 watt (rated 100 W/ch) 5 way DVD sound system at the Best Buy warehouse, but forget trying it out. Some of my neighbors that I meet at the Goodwill store record bin have a record player that originally retailed for <$200. It probably has a ceramic cartridge.
Diy audio, or listen to your cell phone on bluetooth, that is the modern world. Only if Gabdx lives in Toronto, live support might be just possible.
I corrected the out of level arm on my BIC 960 turntable, by putting a washer under one side of the cartridge. I used my eyes. Same on normality (90 deg) to the record, the cartridge has slots. If you can't see straight or 90 degrees, try reading glasses. About 1 day out of every 1084 days, you can buy a protractor equipped machinist scale at Big Lots (where I got mine). It is way too big for cartridge setting, but you can use it to cut a paper template to compare the angle.
One can't do without it tool is a microscope to look at the stylus tip from time to time; if you value your records. I was given mine when I was 12, but I didn't get much into biology. I did detect a big chunk out of the Grado FTE diamond at about 4 years of age. The Shure M97 I'm using has been fine for 33 years.
Oh, and Mr. Piranha, Rhino records never owned a pressing plant that I knew of. Maybe sometimes they used the good one by mistake. Or maybe they went upscale when they started buying ads on "The Tube" (defunct music video channel on free broadcast TV).

Last edited by indianajo; 8th February 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!