My DIY WTL Tonearm - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2013, 03:27 AM   #41
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

I have nice balls for you to use for your next prototypes. And they are fast at computing to

image.jpg
Old 15th September 2013, 02:27 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Very nice work. Do you make the oil tank and the ball hanger yourself? I can't imagine you can buy them off the shelves? If they are available off the shelve, I may try to make one using wood wand.
Old 12th October 2013, 06:16 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Default Well Tempered Clone

WTA Clone 183.jpgWTA Clone 183.jpg

Hello Everyone
Here are pictures of my latest version of the WT arm. I've been building these for over a year now and I have to say, it's the easiest arm in the world to get good results from. This one took around 2-3 hours to build!

How does it sound? Is it better than the others I have constructed? I'm getting to a stage now where there is a base line of excellent performance and each model I make sounds 'different' in one way or another-no better/no worse!

This one has a carbon fibre tube, filled with fine sand as the Bill F. one does. Next one will be using an arrow shaft. I've become a big fan of the arrow shaft after building a few of Nanook's arms. Thanks to Stew for this-Also I understand that you are contemplating building a WT clone, Stew. Have a go-couldn't be more simple.

Watch this space for more ideas and iterations
Chris G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTA Clone 185.jpg (700.5 KB, 702 views)
Old 12th October 2013, 09:34 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Nice work Chris. May I ask where you sourced the "well" that holds the damping fluid? I have one of Stew's arms here that I want to give the "WT" treatment.

jeff
Old 13th October 2013, 07:20 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default WT Arm

Hi
It's a stainless steel toothbrush holder cut down-just the right diameter for the golf ball-cost 1.96 from Asda (Wal-mart). Looks good too

Here's another photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTA Clone 185.jpg (700.5 KB, 607 views)
Old 14th October 2013, 05:55 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG139 View Post
Hi
It's a stainless steel toothbrush holder cut down-just the right diameter for the golf ball-cost 1.96 from Asda (Wal-mart). Looks good too
Love it. You're right, it does look good.

jeff
Old 16th October 2013, 05:52 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Default WT Arm

WT Arm 2 001.jpgWT Arm 2 002.jpgWT Arm 2 003.jpgHello Everyone
Here are more photos of my arm. I've been using it for a week now and can't fault it-it really is a superb performer.WT Arm 2 001.jpg
Old 25th October 2013, 04:07 PM   #48
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
Nice job Chris,

Are those two slotted brass screws holding the mono filament in place ?
Is the arm base a cam on a pivoting second base, to get the extra distance from, say a standard fixing hole ?
I have a ball, an arm tube, & a pillar. so gathering as much info as needed before starting my own WTA over the winter.

Jay
Old 25th October 2013, 09:06 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Hi Jay
There is a single bolt under the base to mount the arm-it's off-centre to allow adjustment to be made. The fixtures for the monofilament are brass screws. Next stage is to use an aluminium arrow shaft instead of carbon fibre. I'm also going to experiment with fluids of different viscosity. Anyone out there know what WT Labs actually use? I'm convinced that this is a real improvement on all other arms I have tried or made.

This is one great arm!!
Old 25th October 2013, 11:17 PM   #50
bgruhn is offline bgruhn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG139 View Post
Hi Jay
There is a single bolt under the base to mount the arm-it's off-centre to allow adjustment to be made. The fixtures for the monofilament are brass screws. Next stage is to use an aluminium arrow shaft instead of carbon fibre. I'm also going to experiment with fluids of different viscosity. Anyone out there know what WT Labs actually use? I'm convinced that this is a real improvement on all other arms I have tried or made.

This is one great arm!!
Hi Chris,

It has been ~20 years since I built my WTA so the memory is a bit foggy, but I think it was 10,000 CS. The commercial WTA took about 9 to 10 seconds to descend from 1.5" maybe 2" to the record surface. Great fun to watch. I got 4 different samples from Dow Corning and tried them all. The one that duplicated that drop time was the one I used. Later I will look for the can, read the label and get back to you. If you have access to a real live WTA, golf ball type, try the drop test. The silicone fluid at 10,000 CS is thick stuff. My arm was a pretty close copy of the real, original model.

Rgds,

BillG

Hide this!Advertise here!