My DIY WTL Tonearm - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2014, 04:04 PM   #251
diyAudio Member

Hi Bill
I have always meant to experiment with different depths of immersion but hadn't bothered to do so far for two reasons:

Performance was so good as it was
It can get messy-that thick silicone gets to places where you don't want it to go no matter how careful you are

Anyway, glad I did!

Regarding bias- a half turn clockwise of the lines is all that's needed. Never had problems with anti-skating with any of my versions. It's an 11" arm anyway so doesn't really need bias (another discussion topic maybe?) It tracks every band of the HFS 75 test disc perfectly-something I have never been able to achieve in all my other arms previously- and I've had some very serious arms through my hands (no pun intended!) Considering 'drag' I don't really discern any difference in rotational freedom than previously
Regards
Chris
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:09 PM   #252
diyAudio Member

Wow one year since Iv'e been back here!
Life/family.................

I saw this arm sitting in my garage all alone collecting dust yesterday so i thought I'd better get it finished(or try to).

Tried making a counter weight but failed as it was too light, bummer. It was filled with sand and seal up with silicon, back to the drawing board.
I managed to get the head shell sorted and fill the arm with chalk then fill the ends with silicon.
cotton used just to hang it and check count weight.
The arm rest will go up onto the platform after I get it cut to the right length.
could have made the base heavier as I still thinks its too light, but will wait and see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (364.7 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (404.4 KB, 273 views)
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 4th December 2014, 06:50 AM   #253
dady is offline dady  Balearic Islands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Send a message via Skype™ to dady
Wonderful
Old 4th December 2014, 01:07 PM   #254
diyAudio Member

Smile c/w

Enze,

Just slide it further away from the 'pivot' for now - for testing purposes!
Arguments exist for c/w nearer or farther away from pivot but I would imagine the effect on sound would be minimal whilst seeing how good the arms is
My twopenneth anyway
BTW - it looks real good
G
Old 4th December 2014, 03:28 PM   #255
diyAudio Member

Can you share where you got the brass 'grommet' on the suspension arm? I'm using rubber grommets on mine for now...
Old 4th December 2014, 04:00 PM   #256
diyAudio Member

Looks like the 'thread' from a plumbers gland nut
G
Old 4th December 2014, 07:14 PM   #257
diyAudio Member

It's just part of that threaded pipe cut down. But I do have concerns about it moving about while the tone arm is rotating or while I'm lifting it into place. Yes I too was concerned about the counter weight moving too far back away from the pivot point?
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 7th December 2014, 09:49 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

`

Thread?

Any ideas?
Old 7th December 2014, 01:37 PM   #259
diyAudio Member

How about a thin 'O' ring either side of the Brass thread?
GC
Old 7th December 2014, 11:40 PM   #260
diyAudio Member

Yes that will work, I'm still working on another weight.

Hide this!Advertise here!