Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 12:30 PM   #31
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
It's pretty much impossible to make a good tube component for $100.
So no to Yaqin.
Hi,

True, but its $240 new, probably pretty good for $90. Looks nice too ....

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 23rd December 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:37 PM   #32
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I figured for $90, why not try it out. So I bought it plus it was free shipping. Plus, it's been tested and at least the guy said with his equipment there was no hum with 91 db speakers. The Cambridge was a safer bet, but I wanted to play around with some tubes since the only tube item I have is the buffer in the Peachtree and I leave that off most of the time. Anyways, thanks for the input.

Evan
Old 11th January 2013, 06:26 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Thought I'd add an update:

So I got everything and finally got it working; I'm thrilled with the sound, though I was about to just give up and sell everything.

After I got the Yaqin and the Red Ed elliptical cart, I set everything up and began having tons of problems. At first I was only getting hum, but no sound out of the left channel, then intermittent sound. At the same time I was having a nightmare of a time aligning the cartridge, or so I thought. I downloaded the Stupid alignment protractor from Vinyl Engine, but I couldn't get it to print exactly to scale. I was getting tons of skipping and it was driving me nuts. Sometimes it was only skipping on the inside groves, sometimes one record would play through , but a different one wouldn't or even a different side wouldn't and sometimes the outer grooves would also skip. It didn't matter where I put the cart in the headshell and I had to have at least 3g's for it to even sometimes play.

Well, then the left channel went out for good. I traced backwards from the preamp and the tubes to the rca's and finally figured out that the left channel of the Red Ed was shorted and no longer functional. This was very frustrating as I bought a 40 year old turntable and a used preamp and the only new item in the chain is the defective piece. I contacted them and they immediately sent out a new cart and let me keep the old one; kudos to them for the service even if the QC may be a bit questionable.
So, new cart installed and still probably not aligned correctly and still having a terrible time with the skipping. Almost nothing would play. Well, after finally reading past the section in the manual about routine adjustments, I see mention of the cuing arm being adjustable. Sure enough, the arm that sits under the tonearm was just a bit too high and was not allowing enough pressure from the stylus on the record. I had listened to it before I bought it, so I'm not sure how it got out of adjustment. Now, after adjusting, it never skips and I can run it at 1.5g's with no problem.
This took a couple of weeks of screwing with it and I was about to give up; when it's this frustrating, music becomes pretty un-enjoyable.

Everything sounds very good now, though I still haven't been able to print the properly scaled protractor and I'm getting some sibilance on certain albums and I think this may be the culprit. Any help with this would be appreciated!

I'm now pleased with the Red Ed's sound and it tracks well, though I have nothing to compare it to.

The Yaqin is very nice and I feel like I got a very good deal. It is well made and sounds lovely and looks nice too. It even surprisingly came with Mullards installed. Pretty good for $90 shipped in my book. I was getting a little hum, especially when the Peachtree was in H/T bypass, but a cheater plug has removed that problem. I also had purchased a set of 5751 tubes to try in place of what I thought would be the stock Chinese 19ax7's and with their 30% reduction in gain any remaining hum has disappeared, plus I think they sound nicer than the Mullards.

Finally, the Marantz 6300 Seems to be a very nice table. It both looks and sound very good, it's 100% functional and I got it for a lot less locally than what they are selling for online.

Sorry for such a long post, but after all the help I got on here I thought I would let you guys know how it worked out. Also, someone may come along with the same problems as I had and be able to avoid some of the frustration

Evan
Old 12th January 2013, 10:49 PM   #34
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My experience with the Red Ed was not very positive on a diy table that I have long since given away. (Right channel died within minutes of first use, and it was pretty mediocre for the moments it did work.) Having had a taste of vinyl glory I'd recommend you go out and get an inexpensive Nagaoka, Music Hall, or Ortofon. (Not a DJ Ortophon though) Have a look at Needle Doctor's offerings.

Budget Phono Cartridges (no affiliation)

I guess I should ask what your vintage table is.. I have two Thorens TD-124 with modern Ortofon SPUs on them. (Schick and SME arms)
Old 14th January 2013, 04:22 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

The table is a Marantz 6300. I like the sound, but I need to get a good protractor to get it aligned right. It has a bit of sibilance sometimes and a bit of fuzziness to the sound, not always super clear. Not sure if it's the cart or alignment or what. In all honesty I don't see how it's much better, if at all, than good digital tracks. It's warm sounding, which is nice, but my system is pretty warm and smooth anyways. The digital stuff seems to have more energy, but retains the smooth sound. I may have to try a different cart, but I don't think I'll want to spend a lot on the vinyl gear; I'm just not seeing how it's worth it.

What budget cart from those brands do you recommend? I'd be willing to give it a go to see what they could do. I definitely want to get the one I have aligned right before I do anything though.

Evan
Old 14th January 2013, 04:36 PM   #36
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It strikes me that an Ortofon 2M Red would just fall within your budget range and should be a pretty big improvement. (Should be a good match for a low/low-medium mass arm)

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...2&category=378 (No affiliation, but they are the Ortofon approved online vendor in the U.S.)
Old 15th January 2013, 03:32 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I was actually considering the Ortofon and it was recommended to me by Brian at Needle Doctor. I went with the Red Ed elliptical because it was cheap and it was my first foray into vinyl. Once I get everything set up correctly I'll probably take a shot on the Ortofon; a lot of people seem to be happy with it.
By the way isn't the tonearm on the Marantz a mid to mid-hi mass arm?

Evan

Hide this!Advertise here!