Pioneer PL-640 DIY preamp tips MM/MC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer PL-640 DIY preamp tips MM/MC?

Hey all.

I have some questions about a preamp for my Pioneer PL-640.
I want to use it again, but i need a preamp to connect it to my Sherwood Newcastle R863.

The Pioneer PL-640 has an MC cartridge, but the manual says that i need to connect it to a MM amp. It has a 2.2mV output with an recommended load of 50kΩ.

Why do i have to connect the phonograph to an MM amp instead of an MC amp, since it has an MC coil?

I want to make my own amp with good sound and an output of 200-300mV.
Does anyone knows soms good kits/schematics to make a MM preamp that will fit with the PL-640? I've searched for schematics on the forum, but i don't really know which one i need. I don't know how much a good performing DIY preamp will cost, but my budget is around $100,- i think... Is this doable, or do i need a bigger budget?

I do have some experience with pcb making and microcontrollers, but i don't have very much experience in building amps yet. I have the machines to build my own pcb's, so this won't be a problem.

I've added a manual with tech specs of the PL-640 to this post.

All tips and tricks are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Martijn
Old 21st December 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibike12 View Post

I've added a manual with tech specs of the PL-640 to this post.

No such attachment, but just as well, as the player type is quite irrelevant. Only the cartridge type matters and you already seem to know the output voltage and loading requirements. Practically any of the thousands of phono preamps suitable for MM carts will do fine for you. Just pick up anything that seems easy or buy a factory made one.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I forgot the attachment.
I will attach it when i can edit the post again.

But do you have some examples for a good self build preamp?
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah, i can't attach the pdf.
The pdf is 3MB, and file limit is 1MB.

Anyway, anyone that can answer some of my questions?
Old 20th January 2013, 03:10 AM   #5
minsik is offline minsik  Australia
diyAudio Member

You could try the berringher pp-400 preamp. Its a budget model to try and see how it goes. Of course giving time to do a self build. Also Jaycar have a universal preamp kit based on the LM833 IC which is a popular low noise preamp and comes with all components to be fitted with RIAA equalisation. (just match the resistors and caps close to the suggested values and each channel) and you are good to go.

I would like to get the pl-640 service manual as it seems to be similar/the same as a Sony I am considering buying. perhaps join Vinylengine.com and post it there. Many hifi people would then be able to access it. This is the best place for all turntable related information. or if you can email it then give me a pm here and i will pass my email address. thanks.

At this point dont stress about the difference between MM and MC In real terms there is not a lot in it. (crys or howls from the purists!)

Hide this!Advertise here!