Shure V15VST - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
argibbo is offline argibbo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Shure V15VST

Hi chaps

Struggling a bit with my re-bodied V15VMR. No problem with the new mounting but with the stylus

Bought a new Ed Saunders hyper elliptic for it. Aligned in my Rega 250 using the protractor and balanced using a digital scale @ 1.25gm tracking force. Anti skate set to the same value (as recommended)

Here's the problem. Some high frequecncy transients, notably sibilants on human voice, are either shifted to the right or produce gross distortion. Channels have been swapped on the pre and power amps and the speakers to no avail. The previous cartridge (ADC ZLM, also hyper elliptic 'Alyptic' stylus) tracks perfectly though it is lower output. The reason for change was the ZLM has a thinner sound that doesn't suit the tonal balance of the Quad ESL57 speakers I use. (The ESLs are fine, no buzzes or distortion, all panels working).

I've read in some forums that stylii take time to 'bed in'. I can only assume that this is more related to the suspension (ie compliance related) than to the stylus itself, which must surely start out in peak condition and detetiorate as the hours clock up?

Another possibility is that the effective tip mass is too high. The stylus is 'shanked' instead of being 'nude' as the original was (and also the ZLM)

So, should I give it more time to 'bed in' or go back to the admittedly awesome ZLM?

I've also just bought a new Goldring G1042 (Fritz Gyger 'S') which will arrive shortly. Maybe that will settle the issue. Last time I enjoyed this level of mis-tracking was with my Garratt Brothers Decca London Gold (microscanned equipped)!

Any one had similar experiences? Anyone found that new stylii need some running time before they come on song?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!