How to stream an anaolg source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I came up with a solution to the ever old problem of good sounding portable sound (Shameless plug below). So I've been asked by a friend to help her setup something similar for her father. He wants sound on an outdoor patio/porch. They have AC power available. What ever the solution he wants to be able to take it in the house at the end of the day. He has a stereo he likes and wants to simply stream music from it to the remote speakers. A battery option would probably be appreciated but not required. Something like the wireless speakers offered by Altec Lancing or Rocketfish is the closest commercial thing I've seen so far. There are a number of Airplay based options but Airplay requires an iSource which is not part of this picture.

So what I need is either a good set of wireless speakers or suggestions for a good wireless audio streaming thing. I think streaming through wifi might be a good option though point to point could also work.
312398d1355005110-my-portable-powered-speaker-system-project-img_1797.jpg

Can't recall the brands (perhaps Sony) but there are speakers which can be plugged into an AC outlet. A matching component is placed in the AC outlet by the source which receives the sound signal. Not sure if it is hard wired. Your house wiring becomes your speaker wiring.

Look up "wireless speakers" at your local "hifi" store or wherever you are.

Make sure they will take the connections from the audio source you are going to be using and not just Bluetooth or iPod connections.

Lots of different sizes and shapes. (and prices)

:)

Thanks!

I've looked up quite a few on the net. Most seem to be of the same type as the Rocketfish. I'm most concerned about range hence my interest in a WiFi based solution. I currently have a Radio Shack system that can accept either a USB or 1/8" input. It works nicely for shorter ranges but not for distances completely across the house.

I would be curious about a system which transmitted via the AC wiring. I recall the telephone line extenders that did the same thing. I wonder how well they would work.

I've looked at the CL system. It was disqualified because the father isn't streaming music from a computer. If he was I would just say get an airport based system and possibly the program that lets you stream any computer audio through the airport system.

I've looked at the Leapfrog like systems as well. Though they operate on the same frequency as WiFi, I don't think they actually work with the router. I think they are just short range point to point. It's my back up plan. I do wish it was easier to estimate how far they will transmit. The claims and the reality based on reviews seem over the map. For example the one you mentioned from Newegg seems to be the same as these two
Amazon.com: Sewell Direct SW-29784 5.8 GHz Wireless A/V Sender and Receiver: Electronics
Amazon.com: 4 Channel Wireless Audio Video AV Transmitter Receiver with IR Remote Extension Wire: Electronics
One got decent reviews the other no so much. Is that a case of a real problem or over expectation? I have no idea.

This one got very good reviews but is that because it works well over short ranges (so does my Radio Shack system) or does it work well even through the house at over 100ft (my RS system does not).

Really, perhaps the real answer is to either have him pair up with the devil and move to iTunes (which likely would require a media PC) or some other streaming system. Any good Squeezebox alternatives out there?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why not use one of the ubiquitous FM stereo transmitters with analog inputs available on eBay and elsewhere? Make sure you get something that can be operated at legal power levels here. (There are a number of reputable American makers of such kit..) Add any compact FM receiver and speakers to do the rest of job..

I'm actually considering getting one of these for my parents though I don't want a high powered model. Around Christmas Mom likes to have the holiday tunes going around the house. Short of Squeezebox which my parents don't have I'm not sure of a cheap way to synch the music all over. The simple FM transmitter would do that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.