BHL Phono - Harsh Upper End

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently completed a Boozhound Phono. She went together very nicely.
Over the last few days, around 6 hours of listening, I have noticed, in some recordings a harsh upper end. For example, the SHHHSHH sound from vocals when in the initial attack distorts. It is only in the first millisecond of attack. I ran the Cardas Sweep LP and on side 1 there is a track that has wooden sticks that are banged together in a very large room. The sound is great until the sticks are banged together very hard. It is only about 2-3 times this happens on this test, but again the upper end on the attack just breaks up. Other recordings that do not have this frequency do not appear to be affected.

Other than this annoyance she sounds great. Is this a matter of more burn in required or have I got a component out of whack here. I am using my 12V Simaudio wall-wart from a Simaudio LP3 to power her and all components are from the kit. I have swapped the Sim in place and indeed it is the BHL phono at fault. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• BHL_Kit.jpg
    BHL_Kit.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 238
More power has made a big difference. She surpasses my Simaudio LP3 which is saying something. Deeper sound stage and better bass extension are both noticeable.

Sounds good.
Be aware if you should choose to alter component values to achieve more gain, a further minor increase in voltage may be required.
I had to up the voltage to ~25,8v after lowering the values of R3 / R12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.