BHL Phono - Harsh Upper End - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Champ is offline Champ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default BHL Phono - Harsh Upper End

I have recently completed a Boozhound Phono. She went together very nicely.
Over the last few days, around 6 hours of listening, I have noticed, in some recordings a harsh upper end. For example, the SHHHSHH sound from vocals when in the initial attack distorts. It is only in the first millisecond of attack. I ran the Cardas Sweep LP and on side 1 there is a track that has wooden sticks that are banged together in a very large room. The sound is great until the sticks are banged together very hard. It is only about 2-3 times this happens on this test, but again the upper end on the attack just breaks up. Other recordings that do not have this frequency do not appear to be affected.

Other than this annoyance she sounds great. Is this a matter of more burn in required or have I got a component out of whack here. I am using my 12V Simaudio wall-wart from a Simaudio LP3 to power her and all components are from the kit. I have swapped the Sim in place and indeed it is the BHL phono at fault. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BHL_Kit.jpg (406.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:16 AM   #2
lyntoft is offline lyntoft  Norway
diyAudio Member

The BHL needs around 24v for proper operation.
The noted distortion on trancients is typical for undervoltage in this application.

Jørgen L
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With 24v power supply and Takman carbon resistors I have not any harsh upper end.
Just started building Salas phono, curious to listen the difference.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you gentlemen... Off to get 24V power Supply first. Then perhaps a resistor upgrade.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

More power has made a big difference. She surpasses my Simaudio LP3 which is saying something. Deeper sound stage and better bass extension are both noticeable.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
lyntoft is offline lyntoft  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
More power has made a big difference. She surpasses my Simaudio LP3 which is saying something. Deeper sound stage and better bass extension are both noticeable.
Sounds good.
Be aware if you should choose to alter component values to achieve more gain, a further minor increase in voltage may be required.
I had to up the voltage to ~25,8v after lowering the values of R3 / R12

Hide this!Advertise here!