Turntable project help needed... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2003, 06:21 PM   #1
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Turntable project help needed...

I am at the very beginning of a turntable project and I was looking for some advice/help.
A little background...
My last turntable was a Micro Seiki 15 yrs+ ago.
I don't own any records and I donít have the room for a turntable. But I feel compelled to do this, so here I am.
I decided to make things easy and cheap I would start with a used table and transform it. After reading about the success that Atma Sphere had with modifying the Empire 208 I figured it would make a good starting point.
The plan is to use the motor, platter, and bearing from the Empire 208 to make a decent affordable table.
If things go well and I use it a lot I will upgrade to the Teres bearing and a wood platter, then...who knows?.
My problems are with the motor mounting. Should it be rigid or should it use rubber washers like the Empire?
There will be three threaded feet under the motor for level/height adjustment so that's not a concern.
What are good replacements for the motor capacitors? Should the caps be located at the motor, or can they be elsewhere?
Thanks In advance
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turntable.jpg (35.3 KB, 695 views)
Old 6th November 2003, 06:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Motor mount

The stand alone motor unit should not have any elastic element between motor and TT platter. Unsuspended TT designers use exclusively non-stretchable belt nowday (silk/cotton cord, fishing line, mylar tape). Why compromise rigidity? This could lead to pith unstability. Just try to sink motor vibrstions (heavy lead loaded base is the simple and obvious solution), and think how to make belt tension controlled and consistent.

Hide this!Advertise here!