Denon DL-103 and 103R - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
vencel is offline vencel  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DL-103 and 103R

Hello,

With the approval of the owner (who is a diyaudio forum member) I would like to share some photos of the famous Denon DL-103 and 103R cartridges.
Both of them had broken cantilever, but luckily the coil and the tension wire did not get damaged. I've never broken a cantilever so far :-) so I believe that these should get a huge shock from one side.
Interesting that most (actually only a few) Denons I have seen so far with broken cantilever were similar to these ones; the cantilever broke off at the same point.
As I mentioned these should get a big shock so I was suspecting the tension wire to be damaged but these cartridges withstand a LOT!!!! Very well built cartridges in my opinion.
Paired with a boron cantilever and FG-II or FG-S stylus it can become a favorite for many people.

@Charisis,
Please share your experiences with us about the reworked cartridges.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

DL-103R
Old 13th November 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If this is not the right place to share these photos I really apologize for it and please move the thread to the correct place.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

great images!
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Very interesting and unusual to see the 103R with a boron cantilever.

jeff
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you! Soon I will to upload some photos about a very interesting cartridge.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:06 AM   #7
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pics!

Quote:
Paired with a boron cantilever and FG-II or FG-S stylus
Well, you know that this is against the original construction of the 103? The 103 was originally developed to allow some tracking distortion cancellation by an optimum combination of a spherical diamond and generator. In case you read german, there are very insightfull articles of Reto L. Andreoli who goes a bit into detail!

PS: therefore, I would also expect the 103R to be more than simply adding a new elliptical diamond (beyond the fancy coils etc.) to the stock 103.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_a View Post
Thanks for the pics!

Well, you know that this is against the original construction of the 103? The 103 was originally developed to allow some tracking distortion cancellation by an optimum combination of a spherical diamond and generator. In case you read german, there are very insightfull articles of Reto L. Andreoli who goes a bit into detail!

PS: therefore, I would also expect the 103R to be more than simply adding a new elliptical diamond (beyond the fancy coils etc.) to the stock 103.

I would not like to start an argument about it as different people have different opinion, ears and musical taste. On the other hand if you check the internet there are companies that deal with upgrading the DL-103R with wooden or metal housing as well as upgrading them with ruby or boron cantilever. In my opinion the Denon DL-103R paired with boron cantilever and FG-S or FG-II tip sounds wonderful. This is of courser my opinion.
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Its nice to see someone upgrade this classic line of MC,s. Having owned 3 versions and finding them not my cup of tea, maybe this would bring them around to modern standards.
So what did the boron upgrade do to improve upon them? The price was always right compared to whats out there now.

Regards
David
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

This is my 103 which has a sapphire cantilever and elliptical diamond stylus. This is the 2nd one of these I've owned and they are very impressive for the price.

This was rebuilt by expert stylus company after an minor incident with a virtually brand new cartridge!!!

My photography isn't quite as good as yours!

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!