Denon DL-103 and 103R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
messing is the dutch word for brass..

Not sure why they are called "slotted brass cylinder head screws" in Dutch, but I guess that is a loose translation of cheese head screw. I don't believe it is a literal translation, can't imagine brass would be a good material for a real cylinder head screw. :D

Perhaps one of the Dutch speaking members of the forum can set us straight.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The SPU Royal has a line contact stylus, and as an owner of two other SPU (A GM E II, and Meister Silver GM) I am curious about the issues with line contact styli. I have been told by several that setting up a cartridge with a line contact stylus is much less forgiving than an elliptical or spherical stylus. I'm still a bit skeptical about the spherical based on my less than stellar experience with a ZU Denon DL-103 on my Schick arm, not bad but the sibilance problem on female vocals and occasional mis-tracking on hot material turned me off. I guess I could get a GM II or something similar with the spherical stylus and try to figure this out..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Assuming you are replying to me the DL-110 is an elliptical, and sort of far removed from what I am looking for.. :D If I'm looking for anything it's for a spherical in the same performance range as my Meister Silver or there isn't much point.. :p

No question it is a great starter cartridge, but I also have a mediocre sounding DL-103D (I think due to age the suspension is a bit past its prime) and a Goldnote Bobboli which should be several notches up the food chain from the DL-110...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I guess i need to get out of starter mode ..... :)

Starter mode might be the most fun place to be.. :D

Have to admit though that I love my various SPUs and that there are definitely more of them in my future, they are phenomenal.. :cloud9:

Yes the MS has a nude low mass elliptical, and the Classic GM E II a higher mass nude elliptical. The MS is a significantly better cartridge than the Classic, but I enjoy both, and am listening to the GM E II on my second TD-124 right now.. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.