Denon DL-103 and 103R - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Account disabled at member's request

i have two dl 103 here with a broken stylus. what is the best shop for replacing the stylus and how expensive is it?
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:34 PM   #12
vencel is offline vencel  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
i have two dl 103 here with a broken stylus. what is the best shop for replacing the stylus and how expensive is it?
I would definitely suggest a boon cantilever and FG-S or FG-II stylus but this is up to you decide what you would like to have.
There are many services out there and you have to chose which one you trust. Some of them are very good but you have to wait weeks or months, some of them are not that good. If you are interested in a service please contact me in private. Basically your Denon can be upgraded with better cantilever and stylus but it can also be recoiled with 6N copper, or with silver or gold by some service companies. I could only offer 6N copper or maybe gold plated copper.
The 103 is a very good value for money and a very well made cartridge. It is capable of better performance and with a boron cantilever it will be much better (this is my experience) but since it does not have AlNiCo magnet it will never reach the standard of very expensive cartridges. However I could not recommend anything better for this amount and even though it does not have AlNiCo magnet, it can still be improved and deserves a better cantilever and stylus.

Best regards,
Vencel

Last edited by vencel; 23rd November 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Isn't this how Van den Hul modified dl103's ?
Old 24th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #14
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Define "very expensive cartridges"?????

The rather expensive rebuild I had done on a brand new 103 would put some expensive cartridges to shame!!!!
Old 24th November 2012, 10:21 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
I only know two:

USA
Soundsmith

UK
Expert Stylus

Cheers
Felipe
Old 24th November 2012, 10:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

And both will "upgrade" rather than replace (so far as I am aware)

I believe both services cost more than the retail price of a std 103 but you end up with a far superior cartridge.
Old 24th November 2012, 11:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
And both will "upgrade" rather than replace (so far as I am aware)

I believe both services cost more than the retail price of a std 103 but you end up with a far superior cartridge.
okay so if the stylus is broken, they cant help?
Old 25th November 2012, 12:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Sorry misunderstanding!

They will repair you old cartridge by replacing the stylus and or cantilever.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:32 AM   #19

okay, and how expensive it is? you way that they then perform much better? I have two here, glad that for about the same price, I can reuse them and have a better cart.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Not cheap!!! But it's less than the cost of a new equivalent cartridge!!!

Mine was done by Expert Stylus Company in Ashtead and I'm massively impressed with it (that's an under statement)

Soundsmith have a web page and the prices are i believe comparable

http://www.sound-smith.com/denon/index.html

Hide this!Advertise here!