Denon DL-103 and 103R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SPU stands for "Stereo Pick Up," and the 90th anniversary SPU commemorates the founding of Ortofon in 1918.

For a short history of Ortofon: Ortofon timeline

Well, for the Verso Monos now they found again, that shellacs have to be used with a correct 65um Spheric tip and for mono vinyl those ignorants use 18um spheric instead of 25um

Mono Vinyl have to be 25 um Spheric. With 18 um( made for stereo and should be 17 um) we have just lesser output level and more groove noise.

I would like to read an explanation from them why monos need spheric tips and stereos something else.:p

And why the old stereo SPU's had a spheric one with 17um instead of elliptic, Fineline or whatever....

BTW : Kaktus can be used for cantilevers, Soundsmith use it for specific cartridges.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Old stereo SPUs got the option for elliptical tips pretty early, I've had an SPU GT E loaner (not sure when this one was made, late 1960s?) that I used for a few months before I bought my first of several SPUs. The replicant stylus (line contact) was available on the SPU Gold Reference in the late 1980s, and on the current Royal.

Ortofon still offers a number of mono spherical tipped CG series cartridges with 25um (Ortofon Mono CG 25DIMKII) and 65um (Ortofon Mono CG65 DI MKII) styli for early 33rpm microgrooves and 78s respectively. In addition they offer the SPU Mono GM II with 25um stylus - so it seems that cover the needs of mono record collectors pretty well. All of these are relatively high output MC types so transformers aren't required.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• DSC00063.jpg
    DSC00063.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
scott-tay,

the HF rise is/was unambiguous.

I presumed some sort of resonance...

_-_-bear

PS. also present in the "new" offerings from the same vendor (fyi).

one of the reasons that ruby cantilevers where abandoned in the days of yore for boron and the like, was the rising response due to resonance issue. IIRC, that is. as like that of early metal domes, using aluminum. The resonance was too close to the usable and required range.

Same reason I would not touch a Kevlar cone with a 10 foot pole.

Can i ask a definitive question about the Denon 110 vs the 103R

Hi boys, having built my pearl 2 now its cartridge time!!

My gut feeling is to go with the Dl103R but with such low o/p can it give decent signal to noise? (do you need a SUT or can the gain be configured to give the low o/p cart a decent chance?), if so has any one experience with the precise loading of resistance and Caps for a DL 103R?......or should i play it safe with a DL110 and it s relative high out put....ultimately sound quality is the issue?:spin:

Has any one actually tried both cartridges side by side as it were?- if so what "won"

Thanks boys
Johnny

I went a different path, just pulled my first MC cartridge off the vintage Akai heavy S tonearm, and set it up on a new DP300-Fsp, with its 11gram tonearm. The headshell must push things up to high enough mass for a good sounding combo. Since its a 50+ year old design, I've picked up a 1981 PMA-730 Denon integrated amp, hoping its MC phono stage might be optimized for this cartridge.Connected to my system via it's tape outputs, it sounds a little soft in MM mode, but is freaking awesome with a DL-103. While I've ordered a Beyerdynamics SUT, to try this cartridge with a kit 12AX7, a Sumo Athena, and Cambridge Audio 551P phono stage, I'm not sure how much more improvement there could be on the PMA 730/ DL-103 combo, or if my current system could reveal it. The best part of the vintage gear is how inexpensive it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.