Denon DL-103 and 103R - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2012, 11:33 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
SPU stands for "Stereo Pick Up," and the 90th anniversary SPU commemorates the founding of Ortofon in 1918.

For a short history of Ortofon: Ortofon timeline

Well, for the Verso Monos now they found again, that shellacs have to be used with a correct 65um Spheric tip and for mono vinyl those ignorants use 18um spheric instead of 25um

Mono Vinyl have to be 25 um Spheric. With 18 um( made for stereo and should be 17 um) we have just lesser output level and more groove noise.

I would like to read an explanation from them why monos need spheric tips and stereos something else.

And why the old stereo SPU's had a spheric one with 17um instead of elliptic, Fineline or whatever....

BTW : Kaktus can be used for cantilevers, Soundsmith use it for specific cartridges.
Old 4th December 2012, 05:12 PM   #102
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Old stereo SPUs got the option for elliptical tips pretty early, I've had an SPU GT E loaner (not sure when this one was made, late 1960s?) that I used for a few months before I bought my first of several SPUs. The replicant stylus (line contact) was available on the SPU Gold Reference in the late 1980s, and on the current Royal.

Ortofon still offers a number of mono spherical tipped CG series cartridges with 25um (Ortofon Mono CG 25DIMKII) and 65um (Ortofon Mono CG65 DI MKII) styli for early 33rpm microgrooves and 78s respectively. In addition they offer the SPU Mono GM II with 25um stylus - so it seems that cover the needs of mono record collectors pretty well. All of these are relatively high output MC types so transformers aren't required.
Old 7th December 2012, 04:06 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetto View Post
Do you know if also sell the brass nuts like the attached pic? the pic is nut M2.5 instead the screw M2 received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00063.jpg (276.6 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by merlin el mago; 7th December 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 7th December 2012, 04:41 PM   #104
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Mr. el mago, the picture is very blurry.
Old 7th December 2012, 05:33 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry Iko, I'm not the best photographer also camer don't help (phone), attached a couple more of pics

Cheers,
Felipe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00064.jpg (278.3 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00065.jpg (269.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 7th December 2012, 08:11 PM   #106
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

take magnifying glass, place directly against lens of camera/phone, adjust distance for best focus, shoot.

_-_-

looks like knurled nut?
Old 7th December 2012, 08:16 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Yes it's a 2.5mm knurled nut.
Old 7th December 2012, 08:45 PM   #108
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
scott-tay,

the HF rise is/was unambiguous.

I presumed some sort of resonance...

_-_-bear

PS. also present in the "new" offerings from the same vendor (fyi).

one of the reasons that ruby cantilevers where abandoned in the days of yore for boron and the like, was the rising response due to resonance issue. IIRC, that is. as like that of early metal domes, using aluminum. The resonance was too close to the usable and required range.

Same reason I would not touch a Kevlar cone with a 10 foot pole.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:44 AM   #109
diyAudio Moderator

Ariyahoor please do not hawk your wares on the general forums, please post only to the appropriate commercial sector of the forum. Advertising items for sale in the general forums is a violation of forum policy.
Old 20th December 2012, 02:40 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderation Team View Post
Ariyahoor please do not hawk your wares on the general forums, please post only to the appropriate commercial sector of the forum. Advertising items for sale in the general forums is a violation of forum policy.
I have had a very strange exchange over this and am not happy, but at least this time my money has remained in my pocket.

Hide this!Advertise here!