Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First foray into Vinyl with Technics SL-B300

Hi folks,

I got my father in law's turntable out of storage to test the waters in vinyl. I had to "test" it with an old NKOTB record that my wife bought probably 25 years ago! Despite the material, I was more impressed with the sound than I expected to be given the turntable isn't particularly high end and I was using my 10 year old receiver to drive speakers since I don't have any other phono stage. So... questions are:

1. What is the typical upgrade path? Cartridge? Phono pre? Turntable itself?
2. Do phono preamps need yet another pre-amp? Need is not the right word... but I love my horodded DCB1 as a pre for my digital sources. Just wondering if it's standard procedure to have a "pre-pre" so to speak.

Thanks!
Old 12th November 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Cart first, I can't think of a better place to start than a new cartridge. http://www.turntableneedles.com/
Confirm for us wether you have a P-Mount or not, if so then go looking for a new cart. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=312134

Second is get some proper TT oil for it, keep it lubed and follow directions in the user manual where you can probaly get from here: http://www.vinylengine.com/

Make an account on there and find your user manual...

Third is a good preamplifier, anything will do for starters, I'm going for a DIY tube attempt tho myself.
Or new speakers
Or new amp if its getting a bit old.

Though I see you have the necessary speakers/amp, so a good preamp is in your future.

Might want to recap that turntable aswell.

Last edited by freax; 12th November 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Which DIY tube preamp are you doing? I'm ok on the amp/speaker front as you mention. Thanks for the tips otherwise. I think this will be fun! Need to start shopping for some music as well!
Old 12th November 2012, 02:50 AM   #4
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Suggestions for a cheap Stereo Phono tube preamp based upon this power transformer?

I'm just using a spare military-spec transformer as a basis for mine.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default losing speed control?

Quick update and one question.

I've been listening to records for a little while now and got around to buying some supplies (record cleaner, stylus gauge, etc.) and also started project number 2... rebuilding another of my father inlaw's old TTs, an Acoustic Reseach XA. In any case, while listening to this one, I've noticed that it will lose sync on the speed control and speed up/slow down while hunting for it's lock. Any root cause that is typical for these that I can address?

Thanks for your help!

Hide this!Advertise here!