Step-up MC transformer for Audio Research SP 6C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hi, just looking for a good one. I know very little about step-up transformers. MC cartridge is a Benz Micro Glider S (0,4 mV), gain is not enough with the SP6.

Another question: overall circuit gain is 60dB and I wonder how much else is needed and am also thinking about changing the circuit but the priority is to buy a pair of transformers.

Hola Cassiel! I have no experience with your phono pre nor the cart, but you might look into Tribute SUT's. I have Pieter's MkII nanocrystaline SUT's, interfacing between TSD15SPH and DIY EAR834. With 1:10 ratio the sonic result is outstanding.
What must be taken into account is that in my case the table (EMT930), the cart (TSD15SPH dampped headshell) and the phono are somewhat lush/euphonic (esp. the EAR834), so the fast, clear and crisp SUT blends in very well.

Pieter is also a pleasure to deal with, honest no bull-sh*t guy, but you need a lot of patience--he has no distributors so runs everything himself and sometimes is slow on emails ;-)

Saludos,
--phi

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well, thanks to all for the replies. Sowter's it is for me.

be aware the the SP-6 has a high input capacitance, and that you may have to play around with the loading of the secondary to get good transient and frequency response.

Fool around would be more accurate, because I wouldn't know what I'm doing. Another dark territory for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.