Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Anyone working on a Si4770 design?
Anyone working on a Si4770 design?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2014, 04:36 PM   #11
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

:-)
Quote:
Bit confused since I haven't done radios since the analog era. So 4770 it is then :-).
Analog/Digital radio, well depends if it is all analog, ganged var cap or varactor based, PLL or not or a DSP based radio like 4735/4770 variety.
Have you read the data sheet or the short DS for Si4770/77?
Worldwide FM band support(64–108 MHz)
Worldwide AM band support(520–1710 kHz)

If you want to help out, sure i'd be interested. The radio platform can/is tons of code that I franking find to be rather boring. I am not good at coding, almost as bad as my Swedish ;-)
I have always been a HW EE type, but FW/SW is the lion share of work to make the product fully functional.
For you to participate, you need HW since you need to test the code you write. I assume, it would be my responsibility to provide you with the HW.
I started out using a Sparkfun xmega100 breakout board and wire wrap connections adapter boards about 3-4 years ago.
People suggested Arduino, but I decided to design my own stuff, but Arduino is still an option, because it is a big market. So is RasP.
The idea is to hopefully make some $ doing this as a profitable hobby/business.
For me it a retirement income possibility.

The only HW I have, at this time, is two Si4735 based portables radio/media players.
The idea is to use them as the controller for the Si4770 based test board.
I can re-arrange the building blocks into a myriad of possibilities for final products that I would call fully functional.

In the US Bose has their wave systems, which are expensive media players, so I use them as a target large volume market. My problem is I ain't Bose, I am a nobody, so a big challenge.

Quote:
You seem to be quite done with your project and if I understand you right you are more as you write - trying to develop an market than seeking people helping out with the tuner.
Done, well good enough for hobby grade, work in progress, but does it cut the mustard for something saleable? and for what market?
My biggest challenges are, FW/SW and packaging.
So far packaging is a cheap Hammond AL box.
FW, challenges, gotta get a good/reliable IR receiver going.

Let me know about your capabilities and maybe we can find a means to put two minds together. It would be good to test the radio in a different market/environment, have a second opinion etc. You say you have a few antenna's? What HW are you using now? What's your name :-) is it really Turbon or Groucho ;-) and we can exchange email addr too.

Cheers
Rick
Old 7th January 2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick.

To make something that would be sellable is sorry to say out of my scope. It would put responsibility on my shoulders which I prefer to avoid since it would no longer be just joy. As for the HW I use now - garbage which I won't try to tweak.
I found some eval boards for DAB and FM so I will probably go that path instead.
As for packaging - most of the stuff I build don't even have boxes so I'm probably worse than you when it comes to that.

Hope you get it working in every respect and that it becomes a success - maybe I'll buy one in the future :-)

Regards
Old 7th January 2014, 06:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thx for the good words. For now, it is still joy for me, unless I can find customers/market, but that is remote.
Good Luck with your DAB/FM eval boards.

Rick
Old 10th December 2014, 10:54 PM   #14
Rkatsma is offline Rkatsma  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Si4777

Hello
littlebit late but i am working on a new design with the SI4777
I have a lot of experience in the rf part of receivers and transmitters
I will combine the design with a dab+ receiver chip also
So i am curiuos how your design is progressing
In our design we will both use mpx and stereo output, and aes digital audio out
The receiver will also have a ethernet output with audio also for monitoring audio

So Lets hear something from you
Regards
Rob
Old 11th December 2014, 10:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Wow it has been a year now and no or very little progress from me. I did the design but did not make a pcb. I will get back to it, hopefully soon.
I am using a Si4735 design now so it serves as a software proto.
The hardest parts to get for me were the Toko baluns and the odd ball xtal freq. I got a couple of samples from toko and for the 36.4MHz osc I planned on using a programmable osc.
Nice to hear that you are doing a design and using the Si4477, so I take it you are doing US style HD radio too?
Sounds like ethernet is a good option as well. Might want to think bluetooth too, seem lots are using this comm protocol. I do not know, remote radio for your cell phone :-)
I see Silicon labs is also introducing a new family and to include DAB IIRC.
Good luck and I would like to follow your progress.

Cheers
Rick

Last edited by rsavas; 11th December 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 1st February 2015, 02:39 AM   #16
acceler8 is offline acceler8  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't have much to offer (other than encouragement). I'd LOVE to see a kit, or PCB, or something from this project! There just isn't anything out there as an add-on to an existing pre-amp/amp setup for HD Radio.
Old 1st February 2015, 02:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Workin on this home project, to speed things up I am going to get a
Si4770Module-A-EVB Silicon Labs | Mouser
when they come back in stock.
I will never be able to offer HD Radio as that requires expensive licensing and is of no use to me in Canada anyways.
Old 29th June 2015, 04:31 PM   #18
justn is offline justn  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to justn
Count me in as someone very interested in purchases a kit or pcb
Old 3rd July 2015, 01:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi justn,

Well no progress, even the eval pcb never seems to be in stock at mouser. The chip price is a ridiculous low price these days of around ~$4, so it a very cheap radio, that really only needs a special crystal and i2c control.
I was thinking of putting the Si4770 chip in another design,that I am working on, see the pitchfork pre-amp thread. I think the part will really shine with a precision external DAC such as TI PCM1794A.
There you go, you convinced me to put the Si4770 on my pitchfork implementation.

Cheers
Rick

Last edited by rsavas; 3rd July 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 23rd November 2015, 01:39 PM   #20
Milo is offline Milo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick,

sorry, I just read to-day about your si4770 project. I'm interested, if you want. I am looking for an SDR radio module with very good features. It has to receive AM - FM, DAB is a plus. It should work better than Tivoli One. I think I could buy several modules if you are interested and if the price will be reasonable. You can contact me privately if you want.
BR
Milo

Anyone working on a Si4770 design?Hide this!Advertise here!