Anyone working on a Si4770 design? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone working on a Si4770 design?

Just wondering if anyone has used this new part. I have used the Si4735 and now want to go to the next step.
Old 18th November 2012, 02:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi rsavas,

I just began looking into tuner kits/PCBs/designs, and was really disappointed by the paucity of kits and PCBs available. After looking around I found, and liked, the si4770 & Si4777 chips, but designing a tuner around one of these chips is beyond my ability. All I can say is that if you decide to go ahead and design a board I'm willing to chip in some money to have a few prototypes made, if I get to build one of the prototypes.

My concern is whether or not any one else is interested. Judging by the response to your post, and a search in the diyAudio forum for anything related to radio tuners, we may be the only ones listening to your design.

-Byron
Old 18th November 2012, 01:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Byron,
Thanks for replying to my thread. Well you are correct, you are the only one thus far showing an interest, enough to respond. I have the PCB designed already, so just have to fab, solder, test & write the software. One of my winter projects. I wondering if anyone wanted to help, but no interest, so I am on my own at this time. You may what to look at the kit from Elektor, as that maybe better suited for what you are requiring.
The Elektor DSP radio (100126-91) - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement
Now that I look, it is saying "Sold Out". The code is still available.
I guess this why I roll my own!!
Also try Birkhard Kianka's site, he wrote the Elektor articles,need to translate as this is in German
Das Elektronik-Labor
HF
Sparkfun Electronics have a few Si4735 kits, as well, check them out.

Cheers
Rick
Old 6th January 2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick.

Did you get the Si4770 working?

Regards
Old 6th January 2014, 10:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

No, still in the works, working on code for Si4735 based radio, which is basically the same for 4770, except a few different prop's etc.Also some other projects, so I can get a few pcb's made at once. I decided to add a I2S to SPDIF using DIT4192, just to make it more functional and to test this ckt out too. So keep tuned, one of my winter 2014 projects to get done.
See attached

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SI4770-42-top.pdf (50.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 7th January 2014, 05:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, I will follow this with great interest and I hope you could add a couple of boards for me when the time comes.

Regards
Old 7th January 2014, 02:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Turbon,

Nice to know I have one person in the world interested :-)
Do you want,
blank pcb's?
populated?
As for the FW and MCU, who will supply that?
The idea is for this to be a test pcb for later adoption into a full fledged tuner unit.
Old 7th January 2014, 02:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick.

Well, populated would be preferable but blanks would do. It is controlled by I2C so whatever arduino or raspberry would do I presume. I know a bit about C and have the ATMEGA studio and arduino compilers installed somewhere in house.
I went thru the Si Labs site about the chips and found the programming guides and some example code - not much but enough to start experimenting. I would like to go forward with the 4777 to possibly at a later stage exploit the HD radio stuff.

So, what options do you offer :-)

Regards

Last edited by Turbon; 7th January 2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 7th January 2014, 03:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I offer no options at the moment, looking for feedback, so that maybe I can develop a market, if I can take it that far and their is interest. If not, well a fun project to do, to compare 4735 vs 4770
The Si477x sample code is a good starting point, using the low level code but much more code is required to make it into a full functioning radio. I have the basic workings for the 4735 based radio, down to the fine points of stuff like editing the stored favorite stations stored in eeprom, error checking, 4735 configuration, remote control programming etc.
Sure anything with I2C control using 3.3V signal levels would do the job.
My portable uses a xmega and I have written the code in BASCOM-AVR.
The Si4777 is a different animal, as it requires companion processing, under NDA with the supplier, so that is outside my capabilities at this time. I am not a DSP programmer either.
My Si4770 design/layout is not done to include the Si4777. Minor modification however.
Wondering why you are interested in US style HD-FM, since I understand it to be exclusive to the US. I do not know of 1 station in Canada that uses this technology. I do not even think our DOC(CRTC), has mandated it either. I would think Sweden is DAB, am I correct?

Cheers
Rick
Old 7th January 2014, 03:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
Hi,

I offer no options at the moment, looking for feedback, so that maybe I can develop a market, if I can take it that far and their is interest. If not, well a fun project to do, to compare 4735 vs 4770
The Si477x sample code is a good starting point, using the low level code but much more code is required to make it into a full functioning radio. I have the basic workings for the 4735 based radio, down to the fine points of stuff like editing the stored favorite stations stored in eeprom, error checking, 4735 configuration, remote control programming etc.
Sure anything with I2C control using 3.3V signal levels would do the job.
My portable uses a xmega and I have written the code in BASCOM-AVR.
The Si4777 is a different animal, as it requires companion processing, under NDA with the supplier, so that is outside my capabilities at this time. I am not a DSP programmer either.
My Si4770 design/layout is not done to include the Si4777. Minor modification however.
Wondering why you are interested in US style HD-FM, since I understand it to be exclusive to the US. I do not know of 1 station in Canada that uses this technology. I do not even think our DOC(CRTC), has mandated it either. I would think Sweden is DAB, am I correct?

Cheers
Rick
Yes, you are quite right about HD vs DAB. DAB hasn't left the ground here yet anyway. There might be test broadcasts somewhere but not reaching my antennas. Bit confused since I haven't done radios since the analog era. So 4770 it is then :-). You seem to be quite done with your project and if I understand you right you are more as you write - trying to develop an market than seeking people helping out with the tuner.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!