Rega P9 RB 1000 combo any good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tankyou

Even the P9 wuld be enough to get in big trubles.
5 K would mean instant eviction.

But hey nothing wrong with goglin up the Kuzuma

Sme 10 what the point if a bit more get you the 20

So far about P9 I got "no big complaints" and "good pace but unremarcable"

LP12 Ebay got plenty at around 700 but one worries as so many things can be wrong with it

SME10, the point was £1500 without arm... big step from even a 2nd hand 20.

Essentially the only thing that can be 'wrong' with an LP12 is the springs, too tight an arm wire limiting suspension movement or a dry bearing (highly unlikely). Most LP12 owners, are technical retards with not the first concept of what is actually involved in 'setting up' an LP12. You're a smart guy, you strike me as being able to work out how to level the chassis via three threaded springs and at the same time being able to relieve torsion in the spring once you wound them up/down to suit. It really isn't rocker science.

The LP12 is a nice deck, it has a bit of a hump in the midband due to how it stores energy in the chassis, but they are capable of first rate playback.

The P9 is entirely unremarkable, but in the best way. It is the vinyl equivalent of CD, neutral and straight.

SME10, the point was £1500 without arm... big step from even a 2nd hand 20.

The LP12 is a nice deck, it has a bit of a hump in the midband due to how it stores energy in the chassis, but they are capable of first rate playback.

The P9 is entirely unremarkable, but in the best way. It is the vinyl equivalent of CD, neutral and straight.

Tank you
this just show how difficoult it is to pick a TT (or anything)

Dealer reccomending P9 is local Naim (wonder how painful the divorce wit Lin was)
He has 20 years experience servicing LP12 and put me off a purchase of ebay LP12 as "so much can be wrong with it"

On the other hand P9 being unremarcable I take it as it does not add much to sound signature may be just what I am looking for...

well look like I hav to listen to it.

Tanks Again

Paying this amount of dough for a Rega seems irresponsible to me. An old TD124 with a decent arm will destroy it in all meaningful ways.

As for the LP12, unless you really enjoy setting up the suspension at least once a month and wondering if it hasn't drifted the rest of the time, better forget it. Sound is pleasant enough but coloured and no dynamics.

Once set up correctly the suspension on the LP12 will not drift for years. The point is that most times the torque on the springs isn't relieved and that is what slowly sends them out of kilter. It's a trivial task to set one up correctly, Linn and their dealers just shroud it in mystery and myth to keep you loyal.

A decent TD124 will cost you £800 + arm cost. And the two meaningful ways in which it absolutely will not better a P9 are speed stability and self noise (rumble). I've seen FM demodulations of the speed stability for both decks and neither is better than the other by any worthwhile margin. The Rega loses out slightly in higher frequency deviations due to the none linearities of the motor and the Thorens loses out around frequencies related to the idler rotation speed.

Ultimately you need to hear whatever you are considering buying first. Were you interested in the Kuzma option you'd be more than welcome for a listen in Sheffield.

I wouldn't recommend a P9 with its arm.
I listened to it and it's sonic signture is pretty evident: thin, too bright and not so much music.

I would recommend you VPIs or Nottinghams: these are really nice school for TTs!

Also, you would probably need to re-do the cartridge. Goldring Elite is too boomy on the bass with its typical Goldring's sound.
If I am not wrong you a looking for something that doesn't have as much sonic signature.

If you need any adviced on audio equipment let me know and I can nudge you in the right direction.

Ultimately you need to hear whatever you are considering buying first. Were you interested in the Kuzma option you'd be more than welcome for a listen in Sheffield.

Tank you this is very kind of you and may take you up on this (my Kid doing uni there so I am up from time to time.)

On one thing you are 100 % right which is listen to it as taste is big player in this.
So I like the Kuzuma looks but can I put up with the silicon damping on the harm and get that right?

And what SHE thinks? maybe it be ok as I got brass looking fire place (that wuld be my exuse for it:D (proof that I am taking you seriously and considering it as one of the contenders)

I guess you are not interested in my advice ;) are you?

Kuzma are pretty good too, so you don't go too wrong with them.
Please also consider re-visit your cartridge.
If you are looking for a really neutral sound, Ortofons on the 1K range are pretty good too and would be a good match for the Kuzma (majority of the arm will support the compliance of a Ortofon).

Hope this helps.

How about a Lenco in a DIY ply or slate plinth. You can either remove the corner or rotate the chassis and then fit any arm you like. I have two Lencos in DIY plinths, one with a Hadcock arm, the other with an Audiomods. The Pink Triangle Export is in the loft....

And me thinking this was going to get simple
Lencos is another to listen to in the list same say it can be better than LP12.
Seen a few on Ebay....

Tankyou

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: Multiple posts removed, I recommend you all show each other a little more respect. Further discourse along the lines of the deleted posts may result in infractions for their authors.

There was some good advice from all parties participating in this thread, it might make sense to read those posts.

Edit: More posts deleted. Further comments on moderation will result in infractions being issued. I strongly recommend you reread forum rules. If this continues the thread will be CLOSED.

On topic or relatively related posts are encouraged.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.