Deluxe Paradise, who is on board? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 08:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Deluxe Paradise, who is on board?

Paradise Deluxe.

After having played around with this new toy I made my subjective evaluation on the sound (more to come as I am getting to know the new toy better).
Anyhow, to cut to the chase, I have found the baby to perform extremely, extremely well and being dead on spot with the expectation created prior to rev.3 by people who tried it.

The way the preamplifier responds to modification is a obvious sign of high class design.

On the current prototype I have Custom Aura Teflon Capacitor (11nF and 32nF) Teflon capacitor on shunt PSU and battery powered.

Before moving on with my MasterPiece thread that I am sure the majority of you is already familiar with, I would like to take this desing to the prong and build it top quality ancase it and have something extremely good to enjoy meanwhile I can give birth to the other design .

Therefore, purpose of this thread is, sense how many people would be interested to pull through with this delux desing.

I would desing a 4 layer high-quality board to optimize signal path and lower noise floor and I am planning on using Texas Resistor TX2352 and Cu-TFT V-Caps for RIAA and byPass and TFT Teflon for the Shunt desing all powered up by battery.
Separate Shunt regulator for the Servo controller, which I have to define if it will be OPA or discrete module (I have order the spec'ed OPA and planning on running listening test to check which one is more suitable from a sonic and technical standpoint) and choose the best value and type of cap for the ELCAP on the front end.
Accurate measurements will be perform on prototype stage to obtain maximum accuracy on RIAA filter prior to release final schematic and eventual order for custom caps and resistors (this would be an all around service to this forum I am offering )

Obviously the finished product will cost more than the standard one, but ultimetly performance would be way better.
I would reccomend to do this upgrade to those who use vinyl as main source of music, has a lot of vinyls and has or plans on having a very good front end (TT/Arm/Cartridge).

If there is sufficient interest I will design the board and publish the files otherwise I will only do it for myself and use the Custom AuraT I already have which are already good enough although not as good as V-Caps.
I would love to do this for the community and it would also be a way to obtain custom premium V-Cpas at a reasonable price.

I hope this can be another little exciting project.

Last edited by Stefanoo; 2nd October 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think it is an extremely awkward idea to start tweaking a project that hasn't even been started by the community.
Just becaus you've been one of the lucky few that was on the beta tester list doesn't give you the right to know it all better by now.
This is not a polite way of dealing with the work of the guys who did the original development, and it takes the fun out of building the "ordinary" Paradise.

Very, very unhandy.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Barske View Post
I think it is an extremely awkward idea to start tweaking a project that hasn't even been started by the community.
Just becaus you've been one of the lucky few that was on the beta tester list doesn't give you the right to know it all better by now.
This is not a polite way of dealing with the work of the guys who did the original development, and it takes the fun out of building the "ordinary" Paradise.

Very, very unhandy.
ok! Number one: I have not build the Rev1,2,3 but I designed my own board as I have not received the boards yet.
Number two, Joachim surely doesn't feel threaten nor offended by this (hopefully) but I am sure he is very glad I and we all like his design.
Number 3 if you are not interested, it's ok, you don't have to take part.

This is for people who think they will want to build an upgreaded version and have the means, money and system to accomodate a more expensive piece of equipment.

No one is taking the fun/joy off of building the regular version if we want to call it as such.

Hopes this helps explaining the intention for this thread.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I disagree.
The Paradise is an extremely successful project so far. Many people who never have done something like that before are starting to build a really serious phonostage - and believe me, many of those people are music lovers first and no diy audio nerds.
What you do here is to spoil the fun. Paradise builders are going to have the "B"-version, not the mighty shiny top notch stuff.
If you want to do so, feel free to, but wait a year. Or at least half a year. Anything else is just disrespectful.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I disagree.
The Paradise is an extremely successful project so far. Many people who never have done something like that before are starting to build a really serious phonostage - and believe me, many of those people are music lovers first and no diy audio nerds.
What you do here is to spoil the fun. Paradise builders are going to have the "B"-version, not the mighty shiny top notch stuff.
If you want to do so, feel free to, but wait a year. Or at least half a year. Anything else is just disrespectful.
I respectfully disagree with you!!
This not a commercial product, nor a commercial site and there are no marketing reason for which you would release an upgraded version a year from now.
This is DIY and here ideas and means is what matters the most.

I will check with Joachim to see if he doesn't like this and if he doesn't I will shut this down and just do it for myself, not a big deal.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Okay, we won't manage to agree on this easily.
Indeed you are right that it's the best idea to involve Joachim.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Okay, we won't manage to agree on this easily.
Indeed you are right that it's the best idea to involve Joachim.
That's ok we don't have to agree on this.
If you want to take part to this you are more than welcome in, if you don't that's fine too.
I just want to outline one more time, that this build only makes sense if you or anybody already has or plans of having a very good cartridge TT and Arm.

I already sent an email to Joachim and I will take it from there.

Again, this is DIY and you are free of making your ideas coming true and just because you or someone else can't afford or won't afford something of this caliper doesn't make me or others who can and want to do it bad people nor takes any enjoyment away from you and/or the others who deliberately decide not to build the updated version.

Hope this is understood.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanoo View Post
Paradise Deluxe.

I would desing a 4 layer high-quality board to optimize signal path and lower noise floor and I am planning on using Texas Resistor TX2352 and Cu-TFT V-Caps for RIAA and byPass and TFT Teflon for the Shunt desing all powered up by battery.
Separate Shunt regulator for the Servo controller, which I have to define if it will be OPA or discrete module (I have order the spec'ed OPA and planning on running listening test to check which one is more suitable from a sonic and technical standpoint) and choose the best value and type of cap for the ELCAP on the front end.
Accurate measurements will be perform on prototype stage to obtain maximum accuracy on RIAA filter prior to release final schematic and eventual order for custom caps and resistors (this would be an all around service to this forum I am offering )

Sorry can not see the point at present
To start with only a few have been built including mine.
The board belive me is realy good I think it would be hard to beat
About the rest Yes maybe a few tweaks and designer components may get you beter results but there are going to be over 200 builds in the next few weeks and a lot of stuff is going to came up so for now I will stick with curent paradise.

So I agree with Holgher including the disrespectfull part.

At the same time yes go ahead and design your own original one
Maybe you could start with an original name?

Last edited by Bksabath; 2nd October 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:08 PM   #9
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
I am afraid that much as I admire those with the capacity to [subtly] alter other people's designs and satisfy for themselves some private urge or meet a specific requirement, in this case I agree with every point made by Holger.

Joachim has put in enormous amounts of time and expertise in developing a whole line of excellent MC head-amps which he has not only freely shared with us here at DIYaudio, but which he has brought to culmination [with the assistance of other very experienced members] in the Paradise. This design has very generously now been made available to DIYaudio members through the group buy facilities offered. Many of us are expecting to receive boards and components in the next week or two.

Joachim has made it clear that he would like us to keep to the design as developed in his thread. [His small army of helpers has made it clear that this is also their wish.]. Until a substantial number of 'as designed' Paradise devices have been built, tested and - most of all - experienced by those who are intending to build it, a massive change of direction by one member, whilst utilising Joachim's basic design, is really disconcerting as it goes against the interests of all of those who who have given gratis enormous amounts of time and energy to this project. It may also offend those who have not received their boards as yet. In short it is disruptive and, as Holger has inferred above, bad mannered.

I believe that this by-product should be shelved until a fully satisfactory prototype has been built and, even then, not released here until a fair number of the authorised version have been built and savoured and fully discussed on Joachim's thread.

[EDIT: Bksabath, cross posted....I agree.]

Last edited by brianco; 2nd October 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:20 PM   #10
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi , IMHO the tweaked version is a great idea but it is unfortunately at the wrong time esp the GB still waiting for their parts and to disembark on building their Paradises. It created unceretainty and confusion regarding the approach. The main aim of JG is to allow DIY community to build the basic version first and to get it working prior to tweaking and turbo -charging them. So i do have to agree with Holger on this.

Hide this!Advertise here!