Deluxe Paradise, who is on board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paradise Deluxe.

After having played around with this new toy I made my subjective evaluation on the sound (more to come as I am getting to know the new toy better).
Anyhow, to cut to the chase, I have found the baby to perform extremely, extremely well and being dead on spot with the expectation created prior to rev.3 by people who tried it.

The way the preamplifier responds to modification is a obvious sign of high class design.

On the current prototype I have Custom Aura Teflon Capacitor (11nF and 32nF) Teflon capacitor on shunt PSU and battery powered.

Before moving on with my MasterPiece thread that I am sure the majority of you is already familiar with, I would like to take this desing to the prong and build it top quality ancase it and have something extremely good to enjoy meanwhile I can give birth to the other design :) .

Therefore, purpose of this thread is, sense how many people would be interested to pull through with this delux desing.

I would desing a 4 layer high-quality board to optimize signal path and lower noise floor and I am planning on using Texas Resistor TX2352 and Cu-TFT V-Caps for RIAA and byPass and TFT Teflon for the Shunt desing all powered up by battery.
Separate Shunt regulator for the Servo controller, which I have to define if it will be OPA or discrete module (I have order the spec'ed OPA and planning on running listening test to check which one is more suitable from a sonic and technical standpoint) and choose the best value and type of cap for the ELCAP on the front end.
Accurate measurements will be perform on prototype stage to obtain maximum accuracy on RIAA filter prior to release final schematic and eventual order for custom caps and resistors (this would be an all around service to this forum I am offering :) )

Obviously the finished product will cost more than the standard one, but ultimetly performance would be way better.
I would reccomend to do this upgrade to those who use vinyl as main source of music, has a lot of vinyls and has or plans on having a very good front end (TT/Arm/Cartridge).

If there is sufficient interest I will design the board and publish the files otherwise I will only do it for myself and use the Custom AuraT I already have which are already good enough although not as good as V-Caps.
I would love to do this for the community and it would also be a way to obtain custom premium V-Cpas at a reasonable price.

I hope this can be another little exciting project.

:cool:

Last edited:
I think it is an extremely awkward idea to start tweaking a project that hasn't even been started by the community.
Just becaus you've been one of the lucky few that was on the beta tester list doesn't give you the right to know it all better by now.
This is not a polite way of dealing with the work of the guys who did the original development, and it takes the fun out of building the "ordinary" Paradise.

Very, very unhandy.

I think it is an extremely awkward idea to start tweaking a project that hasn't even been started by the community.
Just becaus you've been one of the lucky few that was on the beta tester list doesn't give you the right to know it all better by now.
This is not a polite way of dealing with the work of the guys who did the original development, and it takes the fun out of building the "ordinary" Paradise.

Very, very unhandy.

ok! Number one: I have not build the Rev1,2,3 but I designed my own board as I have not received the boards yet.
Number two, Joachim surely doesn't feel threaten nor offended by this (hopefully) but I am sure he is very glad I and we all like his design.
Number 3 if you are not interested, it's ok, you don't have to take part.

This is for people who think they will want to build an upgreaded version and have the means, money and system to accomodate a more expensive piece of equipment.

No one is taking the fun/joy off of building the regular version if we want to call it as such.

Hopes this helps explaining the intention for this thread.

I disagree.
The Paradise is an extremely successful project so far. Many people who never have done something like that before are starting to build a really serious phonostage - and believe me, many of those people are music lovers first and no diy audio nerds.
What you do here is to spoil the fun. Paradise builders are going to have the "B"-version, not the mighty shiny top notch stuff.
If you want to do so, feel free to, but wait a year. Or at least half a year. Anything else is just disrespectful.

I disagree.
The Paradise is an extremely successful project so far. Many people who never have done something like that before are starting to build a really serious phonostage - and believe me, many of those people are music lovers first and no diy audio nerds.
What you do here is to spoil the fun. Paradise builders are going to have the "B"-version, not the mighty shiny top notch stuff.
If you want to do so, feel free to, but wait a year. Or at least half a year. Anything else is just disrespectful.

I respectfully disagree with you!!
This not a commercial product, nor a commercial site and there are no marketing reason for which you would release an upgraded version a year from now.
This is DIY and here ideas and means is what matters the most.

I will check with Joachim to see if he doesn't like this and if he doesn't I will shut this down and just do it for myself, not a big deal.

Okay, we won't manage to agree on this easily.
Indeed you are right that it's the best idea to involve Joachim.

That's ok we don't have to agree on this.
If you want to take part to this you are more than welcome in, if you don't that's fine too.
I just want to outline one more time, that this build only makes sense if you or anybody already has or plans of having a very good cartridge TT and Arm.

I already sent an email to Joachim and I will take it from there.

Again, this is DIY and you are free of making your ideas coming true and just because you or someone else can't afford or won't afford something of this caliper doesn't make me or others who can and want to do it bad people nor takes any enjoyment away from you and/or the others who deliberately decide not to build the updated version.

Hope this is understood.

Paradise Deluxe.

I would desing a 4 layer high-quality board to optimize signal path and lower noise floor and I am planning on using Texas Resistor TX2352 and Cu-TFT V-Caps for RIAA and byPass and TFT Teflon for the Shunt desing all powered up by battery.
Separate Shunt regulator for the Servo controller, which I have to define if it will be OPA or discrete module (I have order the spec'ed OPA and planning on running listening test to check which one is more suitable from a sonic and technical standpoint) and choose the best value and type of cap for the ELCAP on the front end.
Accurate measurements will be perform on prototype stage to obtain maximum accuracy on RIAA filter prior to release final schematic and eventual order for custom caps and resistors (this would be an all around service to this forum I am offering :) )

:cool:

Sorry can not see the point at present
To start with only a few have been built including mine.
The board belive me is realy good I think it would be hard to beat
About the rest Yes maybe a few tweaks and designer components may get you beter results but there are going to be over 200 builds in the next few weeks and a lot of stuff is going to came up so for now I will stick with curent paradise.

So I agree with Holgher including the disrespectfull part.

At the same time yes go ahead and design your own original one
Maybe you could start with an original name?

Last edited:
I am afraid that much as I admire those with the capacity to [subtly] alter other people's designs and satisfy for themselves some private urge or meet a specific requirement, in this case I agree with every point made by Holger.

Joachim has put in enormous amounts of time and expertise in developing a whole line of excellent MC head-amps which he has not only freely shared with us here at DIYaudio, but which he has brought to culmination [with the assistance of other very experienced members] in the Paradise. This design has very generously now been made available to DIYaudio members through the group buy facilities offered. Many of us are expecting to receive boards and components in the next week or two.

Joachim has made it clear that he would like us to keep to the design as developed in his thread. [His small army of helpers has made it clear that this is also their wish.]. Until a substantial number of 'as designed' Paradise devices have been built, tested and - most of all - experienced by those who are intending to build it, a massive change of direction by one member, whilst utilising Joachim's basic design, is really disconcerting as it goes against the interests of all of those who who have given gratis enormous amounts of time and energy to this project. It may also offend those who have not received their boards as yet. In short it is disruptive and, as Holger has inferred above, bad mannered.

I believe that this by-product should be shelved until a fully satisfactory prototype has been built and, even then, not released here until a fair number of the authorised version have been built and savoured and fully discussed on Joachim's thread.

[EDIT: Bksabath, cross posted....I agree.]

Last edited:
Hi , IMHO the tweaked version is a great idea but it is unfortunately at the wrong time esp the GB still waiting for their parts and to disembark on building their Paradises. It created unceretainty and confusion regarding the approach. The main aim of JG is to allow DIY community to build the basic version first and to get it working prior to tweaking and turbo -charging them. So i do have to agree with Holger on this.:D

I am on a busyness trip so i have limited access to the internet.
My impression is a bit like Hesener said : This is becomming a monster.
I could put down my spontanious feelings but i think it is time now that we should have a discussion inside the MPP team with the addition of some early contributors like Holger and Brianco plus consulting with the moderators.
Until that has happened i will concentrate my contribuition on the MPP thread.
Helping the people to make the Pardise R3 like it is designed.

Stefanoo,
Just put it in neutral for a bit, man. People are starting to get sore toes. Develop your circuits and present them, not as better versions,but different. It allcomes across as pretentious, even if not meant that way. This is what i have been trying to get you to see.

Thank you Joachim....

your stance is sensible and its adoption will keep what is a complicated matter focused.

[A general comment is that many threads here on DIY audio are started by a sensible design being presented only to be subjected to so many changes which are uncoordinated - the result is that what may have started as a young thoro'bred horse ends up as an old camel!;) - I have no intention of giving examples.]

I suggest that the proposed discipline is applied with rigour!!

:whip::whip: :headshot:for those who disobey!:D

Thank you Joachim....

your stance is sensible and its adoption will keep what is a complicated matter focused.

[A general comment is that many threads here on DIY audio are started by a sensible design being presented only to be subjected to so many changes which are uncoordinated - the result is that what may have started as a young thoro'bred horse ends up as an old camel!;) - I have no intention of giving examples.]

I suggest that the proposed discipline is applied with rigour!!

:whip::whip: :headshot:for those who disobey!:D

brianco do you use google translator to write in english? I swear I can understand probably 20% of what you try to say.
Why don't you write in Italian man? I will translate it for you it might come through clearer!!!...no pun intended.

Guys just chill it!!! That was my contribute to this forum.
I don't have to do anything for anybody especially if not paid....boards, simulation, tweaking, measurements and so on...especially if this is not appreciated...I was trying to give a push to this community...obviously not appreciated!!
I will build it for my self and for those who are interested in this just drop me an email I will be glad to consider sharing it.
Also, I don't have the boards either....people here who get upset they can start moving their butt instead of waiting for the mom to feed them in the mouth... and build your own board if you want to test something.

This thread turned out to be very disappointing to me so I will just focus on other things.

Thanks Joachim anyway for consider it but let's drop this pubblic project.

Hi Stefano , i totally understand that it is probably taken the wrong way. If i am as cluey as you are i would have no problem with doing my own stuffs and building the best phonostage i can but my knowledge is limited and i do need the guidance along the way to build something basic but good enough to start then of course i would be more than happy enough to join the Gb for the better parts and so on. I have no doubts regard your contribution and enthusiasm and i am sure you are being appreciated. There is no malicious intent on everyone here . It is just that the timing could be better. I would be definitely like to be on Delux version but until i can walk , then can't just run.
:D

La traduzione segue post 13

La tua posizione e` sensibile e l’adozione di questa terra` un argumento complicato in fuoco (prospettiva).

Un my commento in generale e` che molte treads nell diy audio forums sono cominciate con la presentazione di un disegno sensibile sono sogette con molte modificazioni che sono senza coordinazione.

Il risultato e` che cosa comincia come un *cavallo di razza * diventa un camello vechio.

Non o intenzione di fare esempi

You suggerisco che la disciplina proposta sia aplicata rigorosamente!!

Grazie Joachim

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:D Please take what follows as constructive comments is not my intention to upset or belittle.
I just can't resist to be sarcastic of trying to be funny at times, this is diy tread and we are all here because is fun. (Yeah I know there are a few that " who can't do teach" but forget about them for now)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Strange that you can not understand Brianco.... anyway now you got it translated so maybe you can understand 50% of it, sorry about spelling, but it should make sense.

I do not need to chill anything your contribution to this forum is IMO welcome.
Of course you don't have to do anything but you are pushing the wrong buttons.

To start with, your design takes about a week to make.
Did you try to get other to listen to it?
Does it really sound better than the Paradise?
How do you know that it sound beter than paradise if you don't have the Paradise?

OK you don't have the boards how can you say your boards are better?
Di you see the Paradise boards?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I resent same of you comments about spoon feeding as I am one of four that posted here I take them personally so what follows is as good as you give.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Be assured that my butt shake pretty well (yeah at past 50 is not like it use to be still it shakes pretty well).
I can also build boards....

Why drag mummy in this? Are you getting upset?

NOW NOW no need to go skulking in the corner.
You may be the miracle worker that produces the best Phono stage ever so please carry on.

IMO picking Deluxe Paradise sound Pretentious "Pretenzioso" especially without a number, 200 or more, of Paradise builds to compare with?

SO Back to drawing board keep working at it build 2 and get others to listen 2
Then a bit of polish and filing and came back.

Maybe as you ignored my comments before I can suggest you call your design Purgatory?

Do you need Italian translation?

We regret the number of speling mistakes missing puntuation and accents altrought we also reserves the right to use spell cek from time to time.

Last edited:
The italian translation is just as bad as the english version if not worse.
If I could understand 20-30% of it before, not it is like 0%!!

Disclaimer: I am NOT forcing anybody to go into this project, nor taking all the 200 set of boards and trash them so I don't see why people would get so mad.
If you are pretty familiar with electronics and thereabouts, once design is completed and all the huge up-front work has been done, it should only take you no more than 2-3 days to design a board based on the work here and 2 days to run the prototype to a level that you can listen to it with confidence and start making subjective evaluation/tweaking.

Said that, I am not going any further, like I said I am going to take the initiative off as it wasn't taken AT ALL the way I would have expected it.

I think you just need to work on the presentation of your ideas. Nt knowing you perssonally, we jav eonly what you write, and it comes across in the wrong way i think. Lighten up, call you design, almost paradise....or masterpiece theatre. Put a funny spin on it. Develope it, an dlet others comment on its quality. If you are confident of its peeformance, then no wworries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.