Moving Coil Cartridge Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been fighting what I thought was a turntable grounding problem while using a moving coil cartridge, Denon dl-103r. After a lot of frustration, I think the problem might be with the cartridge itself. Using a digital multi-meter, I found that the Denon has electrical continuity between the signal and ground post in each channel. Checking a moving magnet cart (A/T 12), there is not similar continuity.

Is this behavoir to be expected in the moving coil Denon?

Thanks

Last edited:
Usually, the grounding problem can be located through simple continuity checks. Perhaps a broken solder joint at an RCA plug. Or a break within the tonearm wires.

Getting just the right fit between cartridge clips and posts seems to be an art arrived at through practice. Needs to be a snug fit.

Oxidization of the metal at all the connection joints is something to be chased away.

stuff like that.

-Steve

The Denon DL103R is specified with a coil resistance of 14 Ohms. This can easily be mistaken for a short.

Good input, thanks.

Usually, the grounding problem can be located through simple continuity checks. Perhaps a broken solder joint at an RCA plug. Or a break within the tonearm wires.

Getting just the right fit between cartridge clips and posts seems to be an art arrived at through practice. Needs to be a snug fit.

Oxidization of the metal at all the connection joints is something to be chased away.

stuff like that.

-Steve

I've been doing continuity checks for a while and re-soldered several suspect connections. I usually, work on it when I've got an hour or two over the weekend. It's a mechanically complicated Pioneer PL-570, a bother to disconnect, and a risk that I might screw up something when poking around. As noted, in a perverse way, it would have been a relief to blame the whole thing on the cart (an expensive relief, however). I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to test the cart. If it's damaged, I need to know; if it's ok, I need to be more careful.

Audibly, the sound quality from the m/c-phonostage is commendable, but with more hum than from any other source. The separate tonearm motor is extremely noisy (amplified) when in operation.

Thanks,

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What sort of turntable is the Denon mounted on? Lift motor assemblies are probably not the friendliest neighbor for a cartridge with a typical maximum output of 250uV. Strikes me that the arm and other cartridge wiring may not be that suitable for an LOMC. This thing doesn't also happen to have a mute switch that shorts the cartridge when lifting and returning to home position?

Does the hum vary depending on proximity to the platter?

What sort of turntable is the Denon mounted on? Lift motor assemblies are probably not the friendliest neighbor for a cartridge with a typical maximum output of 250uV. Strikes me that the arm and other cartridge wiring may not be that suitable for an LOMC. This thing doesn't also happen to have a mute switch that shorts the cartridge when lifting and returning to home position?

Does the hum vary depending on proximity to the platter?

I use a mid 70’s vintage Pioneer PL-570, fully automatic table with a medium-high mass, s-shaped tone arm. Among vintage vinyl users, the PL-570/DL-103R (m/c) combo is thought to be highly desirable. There are two dc motors, a direct drive motor for the platter and a separate motor to drive the tonearm during automatic functions. The tonearm motor operates only to move the tonearm to and from the record. The mechanical functions were considered leading-edge at the time and are pretty complex. There is a muting switch that triggers off a cam driven by the tonearm motor. The switch shorts both channles (i.e., the cart) – at the muting switch – during the entire period that the tonearm is in motion. All mechanical functions and the muting switch work properly.

Using the m/c setup (cart to phono amp to preamp aux), there is hum that is not present from any other input source possibility: like cd to aux; or m/m to the preamp phono circuit. The m/c hum is not audible with sound present; but it is audible with no signal in the circuit or during dead space on a record. However, the hum is very loud during tonearm operations. A note, the tonearm (Warren) motor is a weak spot in this turntable. They are NLA from any source and difficult to repair. There’s a guy on eBay who specializes in repairing these small PL-570 motors and he repaired mine. It now works properly, but is noisier than it was designed to be.

It was suggested that there is a grounding problem in the table which is exacerbated by the very high gain phonostage and I’ve been probing and testing to try to it. I was stumped because on the bench, the muting switch always tested properly. When I reassembled the table, it tested fine with the m/m cart, but not with the m/c cart. That was the reason for my op. The hum does not vary relative to proximity, it varies directly with preamp volume.

Appreciate your interest.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The likely issue is pick up in all of tone arm wiring, bear in mind that the DL-103R has about 20 - 26dB less output than the typical MM cartridge, but noise pick up should in theory be somewhat mitigated by the very low output impedance of this cartridge.

You should probably verify that the phono stage is sufficiently quiet with the phono cables disconnected and the inputs shorted, from there you can determine what the exact source of pick up might be.

I suspect the large exposed loop area of the typical Japanese tone arm muting switch and wiring may be the culprit here. I'm sure that shorting switch was probably put there in order to deal with EMI from the tone arm cuing motor and worked fine with a good motor and MM cartridge.

The likely issue is pick up in all of tone arm wiring, bear in mind that the DL-103R has about 20 - 26dB less output than the typical MM cartridge, but noise pick up should in theory be somewhat mitigated by the very low output impedance of this cartridge.

You should probably verify that the phono stage is sufficiently quiet with the phono cables disconnected and the inputs shorted, from there you can determine what the exact source of pick up might be.

I suspect the large exposed loop area of the typical Japanese tone arm muting switch and wiring may be the culprit here. I'm sure that shorting switch was probably put there in order to deal with EMI from the tone arm cuing motor and worked fine with a good motor and MM cartridge.

One of the reasons why i tend to stay away from low output cartridges , pre-preamp is very sketchy and requires a lot of patience...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've got two Ortofon SPUs and a Denon DL-103D, which are used with various SUTs, and no problems at all with noise on my various arms. The common thread is that everything is well shielded and there is no electronics in proximity to the arms.

In a case like this the whole arm will probably need to be rewired without that mute switch connected. Good idea to check and make sure the arm tube is grounded as well, this has caused me some mischief in the past.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.