Moving Coil Cartridge Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
wanders is offline wanders  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Moving Coil Cartridge Question

I've been fighting what I thought was a turntable grounding problem while using a moving coil cartridge, Denon dl-103r. After a lot of frustration, I think the problem might be with the cartridge itself. Using a digital multi-meter, I found that the Denon has electrical continuity between the signal and ground post in each channel. Checking a moving magnet cart (A/T 12), there is not similar continuity.

Is this behavoir to be expected in the moving coil Denon?

Thanks

Last edited by wanders; 1st October 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

An MC has far lower resistance in its coils than an MM. That would explain your readings. There are lots of ways to get a hummy setup and very few ways to have a hum free setup, so keep plugging at all the other possibilities.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
There are lots of ways to get a hummy setup and very few ways to have a hum free setup
Boy, that's the truth.

Thanks, Sy.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Usually, the grounding problem can be located through simple continuity checks. Perhaps a broken solder joint at an RCA plug. Or a break within the tonearm wires.

Getting just the right fit between cartridge clips and posts seems to be an art arrived at through practice. Needs to be a snug fit.

Oxidization of the metal at all the connection joints is something to be chased away.

stuff like that.

-Steve
Old 1st October 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Denon DL103R is specified with a coil resistance of 14 Ohms. This can easily be mistaken for a short.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Barske View Post
The Denon DL103R is specified with a coil resistance of 14 Ohms. This can easily be mistaken for a short.
Good input, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user510 View Post
Usually, the grounding problem can be located through simple continuity checks. Perhaps a broken solder joint at an RCA plug. Or a break within the tonearm wires.

Getting just the right fit between cartridge clips and posts seems to be an art arrived at through practice. Needs to be a snug fit.

Oxidization of the metal at all the connection joints is something to be chased away.

stuff like that.

-Steve
I've been doing continuity checks for a while and re-soldered several suspect connections. I usually, work on it when I've got an hour or two over the weekend. It's a mechanically complicated Pioneer PL-570, a bother to disconnect, and a risk that I might screw up something when poking around. As noted, in a perverse way, it would have been a relief to blame the whole thing on the cart (an expensive relief, however). I'll keep looking.

Thanks.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:20 PM   #7
kimon is offline kimon  Greece
diyAudio Member

I wonder how did the coils in the cartridges survived the continuity test!
Old 1st October 2012, 09:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimon View Post
I wonder how did the coils in the cartridge survive the continuity test!
Maybe they didn't.

jeff
Old 1st October 2012, 10:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

In fact putting an Ohmmeter on the coils of an MC pickup isn't the best idea at all. Just adding a few Kiloohms in series eliminates the danger, and basically offers the same results (a few kiloohms - coils are fine; open circuit - coils are gone).
Old 1st October 2012, 10:12 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd guess no problem- the current through those testers is usually relatively low, and the low coil resistance means that any power dissipated is minuscule.

Hide this!Advertise here!