Inverting rotation of a VPi record cleaner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine and I've noticed that I get far better results in cleaning my records when I scrub them both direction, as opposed to the "standard" rotation sense of the machine.

For some arcane reason (I think I read something about it somewhere, I just don't remember where) it looks like I'm able to remove far more "ticks" when I stop the machine and I manually scrub in the opposite direction.

So, here's my question: is it possible to change the rotation sense of an AC motor (electrically, I mean)? Why does an electric motor turn in a given direction, anyway? :confused:

My ideal solution would be a switch that would allow me to make the platter turn either direction. Is it something doable?

fdegrove, I'm not sure how to implement that, hence the question!
The motor is definitely an AC motor running on 220V. I've experimented inverting the live and neutral wires, but the *******' motor will keep turning in the same direction.

What wires/connections should I look for?
Thanks,
Maurizio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.