Need help starting on a DIY Turntable project. Tonearm source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always been interested in making my own turntable. I don't however want to make the tonearm. I was looking on Ebay and lot start at $50 and go up to a few thousand. I don't know how much I should be spending but $50 - $70 on my first tonearm would be ideal. needledoctor.com has a few but they start at $600 which is far beyond my budget.

For the motor and platter portion I plan on finding a used turntable that I can salvage those parts out of. Depending on resources and if I can make a perfectly balanced platter I may go that route.

I'm worried about the barring portion of the build. I need to more research but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Budget: Cheaper the better. Since this is my first DIY I want to make sure that if it fails I haven't invested a good bit of money into it.

Current equipment:
PRO-JECT RPM 1.3 -> Musical Fidelity V-LPS II -> Denon 1912 -> Polk Audio Monitor 60
PRO-JECT Debute -> Musical Fidelity V-LPS II -> Sony… -> Polk Audio TSi300

Also occasionally:
Schiit Valhalla -> Sennheiser hd650 or Grado Sr325is or Beyerdynamic dt990

Thanks for any assistance!

I'll be selling a used Rega RB-250 quite soon. PM me if interested.

I also have a broken arm from a Technics SL-1200 that you can have for nothing. It works fine, but there's a little plastic lug that's supposed to rest on the tonearm lift, and that lug is broken off. This tonearm is very easy to mount. They sell for $45 new on eBay.

A 103 with a Uni-pivot huh?
You say you like it huh?
Can you expand on that?
I've been thinking about doing that myself.

Alfa147
He's right.
70 bucks is is kinda low.
But you can make a uni piv arm pretty easy out of nice stuff for pretty cheap.
I might sound like a broken record... Pun... But have you considred a AR XA?
Prety cheap to get and restore, and sound great.
I did one, spent less than a nice music hall I got.
The ar blows the MH out of the water. Even before I tweeked it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.