Koetsu Rosewood long body rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You're a lot braver than I am, very interesting project. Any idea what all of the goo over everything was? Dirt or something else? Please keep us posted on progress..

Also please consider using our server to host pictures so that they don't end up going away at some point in the future.

Just use advanced mode, and then manage attachments..

Amazingly precise and patient work, especially the rewinding of the moving coil.

I went inside my Rosewood long body once to repair a channel drop out. I soon gave up once I saw how fine the copper wires are - you must have rock steady hands.

The end result should be worth it for you. I bought a newish short body Rosewood recently, and it definitely did not sound as good as the 25 year old long body Rosewood I had, which was probably built by the old Japanese master Sugano San.

Regards,

Steve.

Hm, exactly the same story like in lencoheaven.

Looks like free advertisement.

The job seems to be made ok, but i hardly believe it sounds like a Rosewood.
There is a different cantilever, a different damping rubber, a different stylus tip, adiffernt way the stylus is atteched to the cantilever, and the wire looks different gauge...

And it looks pretty much the same like the rebuilt Onyx, so were is the difference except the body material and generator?

First of all thanks everybody for the kind words and comments.
Let me briefly answer Groove-T's concerns:
Maybe it is a free advertisement (even though I have not been promoting to anybody to send their cartridge to us for repair), but let's see the reality. Previously nobody else posted such photos on any forums. It's true that I posted the same photos on Lenco Heaven and if you would search other forums you'll realize that on others as well but I wanted to share these photos with everybody who is interested in such rarities.
Please show me one cartridge servicing company who would publish such photos on the net.
As for the materials used: you have to know that a Koetsu can be properly repaired by Koetsu but they charge a very high price for the service and it is quite impossible to get the parts used by Koetsu. Maybe I made a mistake that I did not mention that it was not rebuilt to its original condition. I apologize for this mistake.
It was the owners request to use this diamond tip.
Comapring the Rosewood and Onyx the difference between the 2 were audiable.
We always informed people who turned to us that we might not be able to service the cartridge with original components and we always involve owners in decision making, we proposed different alternatives.
We are happy that the owner of those 2 Koetsus are very-very satisfied and happy with the cartridges.
I hope I could answer all your concerns.

About the stuff inside the cartridge: it was mainly simple dirt and some original glue residue.
I will try to upload the photos to the server but please understand that in order to avoid any fraud I will have to put a watermark on them.

My hands are unfortunately not that prcise as my friends hands who is into cartridge repair for 30 years. So this is not a job done by me but I hope that one day I aill be able to carry out similar quality. I managed to convince him to share such photos with the public so everybody realizes what can they expect in return of a high price that cartridge repair companies charge.
Unfortunately no all companies do such a correct rebuild.

For those who are interested in more photos I will be happy to share.
I already published photos of Koetsu Onyx, Koetsu Rosewood, Goldbug Mr. Brier, Supex SD-909 and Ortofon Rohmann on different forums.

My concern is, that a Koetsu Rosewood oder whatever Cartridge has its own kind of sound, which is achieved due choice of material and quality and kind of assembling.
The biggest difference comes from the rubber, which makes the damping.
So if we change something, the sound is different.
Ok, fine, the customer is happy with the rebuilds, but if i like the sound of something, i want it like it was before.
Of course, Sugano San's Makes had huge tolerances, sometimes they were really bad assembled. His rubbers have much aging and makes the cartridges useless.
I can say this for sure, i have a tired Koetsu Onyx next to me.
The Stylus is not exact 90 deg mounted, the cantilever is not 90 deg attached, so those problems created some HF Distorsions, but never bright due the soft damping rubber.
Sugano San was 60 years or more, when he made his Koetsu thingies. Today one of his sons does the job. Better in tolerance, different in sound. If you like it, fine.
But for 5'000 bucks or more i do not accept such tolerances like the old ones had.

So i think you just should tell the folks, that the sound is not the same like before, altough its maybe very good.

Servicing MC's is expensive, and now we know why! :D

My concern is, that a Koetsu Rosewood oder whatever Cartridge has its own kind of sound, which is achieved due choice of material and quality and kind of assembling.
The biggest difference comes from the rubber, which makes the damping.
So if we change something, the sound is different.
Ok, fine, the customer is happy with the rebuilds, but if i like the sound of something, i want it like it was before.
Of course, Sugano San's Makes had huge tolerances, sometimes they were really bad assembled. His rubbers have much aging and makes the cartridges useless.
I can say this for sure, i have a tired Koetsu Onyx next to me.
The Stylus is not exact 90 deg mounted, the cantilever is not 90 deg attached, so those problems created some HF Distorsions, but never bright due the soft damping rubber.
Sugano San was 60 years or more, when he made his Koetsu thingies. Today one of his sons does the job. Better in tolerance, different in sound. If you like it, fine.
But for 5'000 bucks or more i do not accept such tolerances like the old ones had.

So i think you just should tell the folks, that the sound is not the same like before, altough its maybe very good.

Servicing MC's is expensive, and now we know why! :D

You are right and we would never say that a Koetsu rebuild would sound the same as the original but my friend always tries to get as close as possible and his customers are involved in cantilever and tip selection.

Before seeing the photos I would not understand why the service costs that much. Also I had to see his tools to believe why such companies charge so much.
On the other hand I also realised that he does a very professional work and charges less than others. He had a customer who had his cartridge repaired by a well-known company but the owenr was not satisified with it. No wonder as the coil looked horrible. I don't understand how people can charge so much money for a **** work.
The photos will help people understand:
1. why such a service costs that much
2. what service quality can they expect in return of theis money

For those who cannot afford for an expensive cartridge (including myself) can enjoy such photos which have not been shared so far.

I was still owing you some photos which show the end result.

You're a lot braver than I am, very interesting project. Any idea what all of the goo over everything was? Dirt or something else? Please keep us posted on progress..

Also please consider using our server to host pictures so that they don't end up going away at some point in the future.

Just use advanced mode, and then manage attachments..

I tried to edit and upload the photos but I could not do that and now they disappeared.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.