MY PARADISE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got new trafos wired up and now listening to Paradise R2 supplied with 2 18 V ac 40Va
Sink temperature = did not bother to measure it.
I had C 10 Homs C 10 homes C dropping voltage to about 22 VDC before it got to boards it was 32 V before still the regulators work pretty well

Now using 3 homes and 2 homes on the CRCRC so I am back up to the 26 V recommended
1) I am not sure as I need to listen to it a bit more but it was better before is my first impression, soundlike it struggles a bit when things get busy
2) The regulators are pretty blipping good.

I don't think is due to the transformers as the 40 Va can give out over 1 A and paradise uses about 140 mA

The last 2 Cap banks are 4400 uF mounted near the Phono boards so is not starved for current as I said that was first impression and may be tired ear sindrome I will start afresh tomorow and see.

No much progress here
Is to cold to work in the loft

But this is quite handy

Tanks to FDW

See Mpp #7730 and the building guide.

These are the most important/relevant messages regarding PSU and Pre-Reg.
Mpp #4375 PSU-pre-regulator.
Mpp #4610 V2 Schemas UPS and Amp.
Mpp #6506 CCS fine-tuning.
Mpp #6462 PSU with my notes.
Mpp #6809 Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt with a regulated power supply.
Mpp #7127 More about transformer selection.
Mpp #7635 Single and dual transformer wiring (also corrected drawing) (See also #7733).
Mpp #7733 Grounding (PSU, RIAA and Player).
Mpp #7810 35V PSU for the CroMagnon.
Mpp #7830 The PSU explained.
PradiseBuilders #13 Schema's and assembly guide.
PradiseBuilders #155 Vdc input voltage minimum simulated.
PradiseBuilders #970 PSU oscillates; posible solutions?
PradiseBuilders #983 Compensating the PSU for oscillations.
PradiseBuilders #1130 Updated 'Paradise R3 assembly guide'.
Have a look at these and their following messages.

Tanks Frans for posting the links

And off course one of my "best Paradise post"

If aproximations need to be made is better to get RIAA values towards what Riccardo suggested as folows

Quote post 1052>

Here you have:

11nF, 32,1nF 9.9K and 73.7K

IMO As long as both channels are the same aproximate RIAA to 0.01 % is a vaste of time

Get the 2 channels to be different and that is big stage killer as about screwing up the Tone of the instruments I already did that in the recording studio with the tape pitch controll and all those Knobs on the mixing desk

;)
Crapy scope I do not trust it
0.05V div
0.5V div on 3 rd

Attachments

• Noise 001.jpg
    Noise 001.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 349
  • Noise 002.jpg
    Noise 002.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Noise 003.jpg
    Noise 003.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 319
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sandro thanks for the cross test on scoping the rails. I get the same weird hash on RIGOL DSO and CRT Hameg too. Maybe bit less in amplitude but still too much. But it does not jump in the signal FFT as high hiss. Maybe EMI on the ground plane or something, don't know. Its not a special bug with the Toshiba semis I used in the PSU at least since it cross checks with your build too.

Compare with the 3rd picture
Toshibas make big difference.
Not tried the capacitors changes

Maybe Frans could help?

I'm trying (Salas and I have exchanged a lot of mails today). But it is not definitely clear what the problem is. For sure you need to use fast (D44/D45H11 of faster) power transistors, when using slower transistors the PSU must be compensated and performance is (slightly) compromised. Current knowledge shows that the (small amount of) noise not enters the RIAA and thus, the PSU is as clean as needed (and cleaner than most :)).

My own examinations of today show me that the J310 may be marginal and later I will publish some data on this, and guidance on how to improve the situation. It is, at this moment, not clear if the measured noise is caused by using the J310 :) but for sure there are better fitting, for the application, FET’s available.

P.s. That will be posted in the Paradise Builders forum.

These are the most important/relevant messages regarding PSU and Pre-Reg.
  1. Mpp #4375 PSU-pre-regulator.
  2. Mpp #4610 V2 Schemas UPS and Amp.
  3. Mpp #6506 CCS fine-tuning.
  4. Mpp #6462 PSU with my notes.
  5. Mpp #6809 Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt with a regulated power supply.
  6. Mpp #7127 More about transformer selection.
  7. Mpp #7635 Single and dual transformer wiring (also corrected drawing) (See also #7733).
  8. Mpp #7733 Grounding (PSU, RIAA and Player).
  9. Mpp #7810 35V PSU for the CroMagnon.
  10. Mpp #7830 The PSU explained.
  11. Mpp #8386 My resistor recommendation’s.
  12. My Paradise #56 PSU Noise.
  13. PradiseBuilders #13 Schema's and assembly guide.
  14. PradiseBuilders #155 Vdc input voltage minimum simulated.
  15. PradiseBuilders #970 PSU oscillates; posible solutions?
  16. PradiseBuilders #983 Compensating the PSU for oscillations.
  17. PradiseBuilders #1173 Fixing oscillations (up to #1182).
  18. PradiseBuilders #1322 Fuse :).
  19. PradiseBuilders #1387 Updated Paradise R3 assembly guide (Also German).
  20. PradiseBuilders #1403 Capacitors bad vs good.
  21. PradiseBuilders #1593 PSU Power Transistor selection.
  22. PradiseBuilders #1644 PSU Output Impedance.
  23. PradiseBuilders #1680 PSU Power Supply Suppression Ratio(PSSR).
Have a look at these and their following messages.

Last edited:
Crapy? I was thinking of getting a same unit.

It is worth spending a bit more if you can if not you stuck with somthink you may not like and regret it.

The one I got is from Rapid at £245
20MHz Analogue oscilloscope/1MHz function generator

But i wish I had one of those instead
OWON SDS6062 Digital Oscilloscope with Logic analyzer 60MHz 2 Channels
Buy Digital Oscilloscopes RSCAL(7545519) Oscilloscope,50Mhz,2Ch ISO-TECH IDS6052-U online from RS for next day delivery.
Buy Digital Oscilloscopes Oscilloscope,50Mhz,2Ch ISO-TECH IDS6052-U online from RS for next day delivery.

Those have same math functions that I wuld realy like and I am prety shure you could find better price than RS

Bat it all depends on how much you are going to use it.

I'm trying (Salas and I have exchanged a lot of mails today). But it is not definitely clear what the problem is. For sure you need to use fast (D44/D45H11 of faster) power transistors, when using slower transistors the PSU must be compensated and performance is (slightly) compromised. Current knowledge shows that the (small amount of) noise not enters the RIAA and thus, the PSU is as clean as needed (and cleaner than most :)).

My own examinations of today show me that the J310 may be marginal and later I will publish some data on this, and guidance on how to improve the situation. It is, at this moment, not clear if the measured noise is caused by using the J310 :) but for sure there are better fitting, for the application, FET’s available.

Tanks for posting Frans.
Your dedication to this project is commendable and duly noted

Any suggestion is welcome and I be happy to do the hard work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.