MY PARADISE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few test first

This is based on my set up with Selectronic transformers (not really good)
Supply
Right +34.2 -34.4

Left +34.4 -34.6
The paradise regulator take care of difference and supply to Phono is set at 18.001 + - on both

The CRC stage has 5 Homs resistors between capacitors (2 X2200 uF FM type)
V drop across resistor is 718 mV

No lid on box
Right with cooper sink extension
Left no sink extension
Overview off set up

With my set up (Selectronic Trafos nominal 24 V in reality those have same random V out (about 29 V AC under Paradise load))

34 V to the boards causes the sink to go up to 50.1 C
Using the cooper Extension helps and the temperature is down to a 37.1 C

This is whiteout lid in pretty cold loft.

Paradise for Dummies (like me) Notes;)

1) If you can do not feed the boards with 34 V
2) If traffos are to hi further CRC stages help and supply is cleaner I got CRC cable CRC (on board supply is quite good so proper trafos and no to many CRC work fine )
3) Take your time setting up the clean supply voltage (+ - 18 V) as when sink warms up it does drift a bit
We reserve the right to ramdomly use spell cek

Attachments

• Sink temperature 002.jpg
    Sink temperature 002.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 478
  • Sink temperature 001.jpg
    Sink temperature 001.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 458
  • Sink temperature 003.jpg
    Sink temperature 003.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 421
You May ask yourself Talking Heads - "Once In A Lifetime" - YouTube
what the fuss is all about.

Lid on, sink temperature with no extentions.

Paradise for Dummies (like me) Notes;)

1) Heath inside case make components age faster and causes voltagge drifts
2) MC RIAA stages need good screaning
3) Holes in case compromise screaning and air currents cause voltagge drift
(just blow on input transistors to find out)

I am going to take a few turns of the transformers so to drop the voltagge
it is easy enough to do with race cores.

PS UK mains is 240 V AC nominal so if not in the UK you may be ok :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Sink temperature lid on 001.jpg
    Sink temperature lid on 001.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Sink temperature lid on 002.jpg
    Sink temperature lid on 002.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 374
Yes it is other sink is at 48 C with extra fins
So, no much fuss needed to get existing one working, I am going to drop a couple of Volts from the Trafos and it will be OK

Phono section is going to be inside a box inside a box, so isolated from heat off the power suply

Yes it is other sink is at 48 C with extra fins
So, no much fuss needed to get existing one working, I am going to drop a couple of Volts from the Trafos and it will be OK

Phono section is going to be inside a box inside a box, so isolated from heat off the power suply

You should allow for 220 to 240Vac on the mains, the minimum input voltage for the PSU is 26Vdc and that needs an 18Vac transformer. Then I would say you need a 18Vac @ 220Vac(mains), what will be a 20Vac @ 240Vac(line). The dc voltage at the PSU will then be about 29V (or there about). I would say, the 34V you mentioned is a wee bit high :) (about 5 wee bits) (where 1 wee bit = 1 volt :))

The 68 C was taken right on top of the regulators To220
Extra fins = - 20 C (again temperature taken in worst possible place )

I am going to get new trafos most probably 20 V ac as I like the extra CRC

It can drop 2 wee bit Volts with a 15 Homs resistors on the CRC with the advantage of less riple

Regulators run at about 146 mA

No much heath in the box inside the box as it is a Cooper Box about 27 C on current mirrors.

Still to hot for Summer time... but more ventilation may cause drift with changes in temperature :confused:

By the way Voltagge (Regulated) goes down a fraction of a wee bit as regulators warm up this is constant on + and - rails and on 2 chanels so no big problem there Just set up 20 mV higher before lid is on seems right in my case

Eventualy I may mesure up V against C but most important
Offset at the input is at 0.2 mV or 0.0002 V with a 100 Homs resistor used for Cart Loading and is prety steady so quite happy with that.

Last edited:
Let´s see how it sounds.

Sound prety good (may remind audience to look up Londoners meaning for that is allright)

Improvment over single trafo is noticeable firmer sound stage is quite evident.

No did not get a chance to play many traks on it and still running prety hot as trafos are still as before.

Any way I got my R3 boards so I realy have to start on it.

First thing I am going to do is sort out the Transistors
I tried the Atlas a curve tracer and the litle test circuit as on the guide.

So far a small batch of NPN

any way
Atlas sems to be on the low side
Curve tracer is ok on NPN (did have problems with PNP) mesure 455 (sorry for picture quality
Litle circuit mesure 463

So score is :

I like litle circuit a loooooooot
no much difference from curve tracer and extra super duper precision is not needed as if 2 transistors mesure the same they be the same, altrought with small error due to resistors tollerance.

Only snag they need same tyme to setle but for one that is only going to build paradise to listen to his record collection the litle circuit is prety good

Attachments

• NPN mesure 001.jpg
    NPN mesure 001.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 150
  • NPN mesure 002.jpg
    NPN mesure 002.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 141
  • NPN mesure 003.jpg
    NPN mesure 003.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 116
Borowed TT
She is out babysitting so suprise ready for later.
Do not worry in case of major hearth quakes or sonic boom.

Difference is amazing compared to my old TT and Paradise is well wort it

I am still listening to very hot R2 it has been on since early this morning and no smoke so far.

I am open for sugestions on new TT up to £2 k

any beter than Rega P9?

Attachments

• NPN mesure.jpg
    NPN mesure.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 210
Sabbath, you'll certainly get 'different' to the P9, but better? Well that depends what you are looking for. A well fettled P9 sounds pretty close to cd to my ears and that's generally a good sign. If however you are looking for more 'romance' then maybe look at different carts.

I don't know what to say really just a question of timing and circumstances and what is going on one life.
So feel free to skip this
Compromises have to be made and maybe a bottle of (juck not really good to be honest) Barbera and few nibbles help but I just had John Mayall sitting right in front of me (Decca SLK 5010 Sitting in the rain)
Guitar out of right speaker is so real and so well defined in the 3 dimensional plane that it was a real kick, just seeing how far up the neck the hand goes, only thing wrong was that in real life I would have been the one playing the spoons, but that was not to be, they where right in the middle of the stage and about 2 meters back, which if one open its eyes would have put them outside the front window, but I was quite happy any way and have to queue the same track in again.

(Tanks MPP gang if time machine taking one back 30 years is not best prise to Paradise I don't know what could be)

CD (IMO) sorry dude that was the end of proper dynamics and made life so easy for any john blow to make records.

Please note IMO there. IMO is there because I have crapy CD player and never listened to any 5 times more expensive than my analogue set-up that sounded beter and more real.

What I am looking for

I don't know really, something beter than what I have (easy peasy when comparing to RPM 4) I am only human and would always go for greener grass over the fence. Would I go for a 20/12? Not sure I can afford one.

I don't know about cart Elite remind me a lot of the AKG PD 25 (Yes bit more romance there) I use to have
Staging and as a consequence of it having old mate plucking a few strings in my living room is most important to me

Lets Just skip in vinus veritas for a sec and write this again

Stick needle on first empty turns
RPM 4 woofers is working like crazy doing old in out in out
P9 not even a little bit as much.

How much this and single trafos had to do with staging (I did open can of worms about it) I can't explain but a lot make perfect sense I know I was there just before I started writing this.

Tweak the TT.
Choose the 'cart romance' you wish...
...spend the 2K on some music.
( & lots of shelves ! )

Cheers

Si.

100% on that but budget for music is already there;)

To tweak a piece of MDF like RPM 4 no much that can bedone

To get halfdecent TT and then build one when all other project have been compleated is my plan, will it have any SWAMBO factor? not realy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.