Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why using such a high ration transfomer? 1 IN :36 OUT?

Would you mind pointing out a specific model for the sake of clarity?

Thanks. :cool:

In this case voltage is not most important, it is current that you are trying to influence (it is a shunt PSU) and the most common signal generators are equipped to generate voltage (mostly into a 600 ohm output impedance). That is where a high ratio transformer will be helpful.

And no, I am not going to invest time in selecting transformer(s) for this purpose, if you are planning to do these measurement experiments then I would say go ahead and start by using the suggested transformers, and then from building experience you will grow to knowledge needed, and then may select different devices.

In this case voltage is not most important, it is current that you are trying to influence (it is a shunt PSU) and the most common signal generators are equipped to generate voltage (mostly into a 600 ohm output impedance). That is where a high ratio transformer will be helpful.

And no, I am not going to invest time in selecting transformer(s) for this purpose, if you are planning to do these measurement experiments then I would say go ahead and start by using the suggested transformers, and then from building experience you will grow to knowledge needed, and then may select different devices.

okkk okkk.....calmmm down...let's keep tone naturally flowing please!
You don't have to invest anything geezzzz!!!

You mentioned something very generic that I liked you to support your general statement with an actual reference for anybody's benefit.
You don't have to do anything don't worry! :eek:
:cool:

okkk okkk.....calmmm down...let's keep tone naturally flowing please!
You don't have to invest anything geezzzz!!!

You mentioned something very generic that I liked you to support your general statement with an actual reference for anybody's benefit.
You don't have to do anything don't worry! :eek:
:cool:

Ohhh no, it was not intended to be 'harsh' :) sorry for that :bawling: I think the first part is the important one.

Last edited:
ahahahahah!!! That makes me feel better!!!

Yeah the first concept is very important.
Like you mentioned I will have to get a transformer like you were suggesting and try out see how it works and then like with any other things improve the set up as you are getting more proficient at it.

I am very glad you posted the last thing! Thanks.

My pleasure.

Just keep in mind that it's always the circuit that primarily defines the sound quality, not a single component (type).
If it sounds good, praise the three musketeers, instead of licking capacitor leads.

Oops, did I mention that I acquired the very last of the PCB packages for the Locky curver tracer.
For which I already have a fancy all-aluminum housing, bought a bunch of them for €5 the piece (>100 new)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/119409-kleinschmidt-10a-5.html#post1501854

Makes both you a happy camper, and me.

Last edited:
PS: never lick the leads

Some do.

(PS: I own a Philips PM6507 curve tracer, with all accessories + SM. Does Bipolar/JFET/MOSFET, up to 20A Ic and Gozanga Vce. Once every couple of decades, universities have a clearance sale, bum students are the first in-line to profit. Plus an Hitachi digital storage scope with RS232 output & software. But it's always nice to keep up with the modern day and age. :clown: )

Last edited:
My pleasure.

Just keep in mind that it's always the circuit that primarily defines the sound quality, not a single component (type).
If it sounds good, praise the three musketeers, instead of licking capacitor leads.

Oops, did I mention that I acquired the very last of the PCB packages for the Locky curver tracer.
For which I already have a fancy all-aluminum housing, bought a bunch of them for €5 the piece (>100 new)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/119409-kleinschmidt-10a-5.html#post1501854

Makes both you a happy camper, and me.

woo that's cool.
So you are gona rig up his curve tracer too? Nice!!
I still have to order one.
I am not as brave as you.....getting too lazy lately....going to get finished unit one of these days.

Populated PCB/calibrated/software CD, same deal as Frans and all the others got, merely needs a heatsink, PS and a case.

Brave is cleaning up the board, swapping components, recalibration.
For a couple of the parts, I've got the better versions (which no one else has :clown:)

Still, could be simpler than working on a submarine, or building cars, yachts, jet fighter sections, commercial airplane parts, repairing a b&w TV with tubes, or the high voltage section of a 42'' LCD. Me pathetic d-all-y.
(I do turn extremely agressive from programming, had to do DOS/Fortran/T-Pascal/Visual at university, smashed a lot of stuff in those days. A parttime job as a Unix system administrator was easier)

Populated PCB/calibrated/software CD, same deal as Frans and all the others got, merely needs a heatsink, PS and a case.

Brave is cleaning up the board, swapping components, recalibration.
For a couple of the parts, I've got the better versions (which no one else has :clown:)

Still, could be simpler than working on a submarine, or building cars, yachts, jet fighter sections, commercial airplane parts, repairing a b&w TV with tubes, or the high voltage section of a 42'' LCD. Me pathetic d-all-y.
(I do turn extremely agressive from programming, had to do DOS/Fortran/T-Pascal/Visual at university, smashed a lot of stuff in those days. A parttime job as a Unix system administrator was easier)

ahahaahahahah!!!!!!
I quite liked Pascal....however hated Fortran....which they forced us to study in university for one class....and I haven't seen anything in Fortran since then!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.