Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Read this review and also go the Simaudio website where they argue that DC coupling is better :
Simaudio Moon 810LP Phono Preamplifier | The Absolute Sound
Nevertheless, when you read the review carefully the biggest criticism is that the bass is rather dry. Why ?
Maybe too much precision buys you a sound that is very clean but also a bit threadbare.
A recording is music in a can. When we warm up the beans they will never taste like fresh. Maybe we have to add some spice to make it digestible. That is where art and the ear comes in. Why not trust your own ears ?

Well, i trust my ears but so far i can not 100% predict how a certain circuit will sound.
One example : we designed a power amplifier with 4 people over a period of 8 years.
In that time the actual circuit diagram did not change much. We worked mostly on the power supply, the grounding and choice of passive components.
When i compare the sound of the original amp to what we have now the old amp sounds veiled and murky with week bass and dynamics only in the midrange. So you see topology is important but execution may be even more important.

Do you realy trust a simulation?

No, never, ever. But then again; do I trust myself? And the answer is 'No, Never, ever'. So how is this working for me? Most of the time I do the 'thought experiment' and then, to verify it, I use the simulator. This process is iterated many times, thought -> simulator -> thought -> simulator -> thought -> simulator -> ... Then one day I start building, measuring, and back to the simulator, and back to the thought experiment, and then it starts all over again.

As an example, building the current amplifier took me 5 years (not full time :)) from which the first 3 years where 'thought experiment'-time, mostly making sketches, and reading books (Cordel, Self, Linear-Audio and more). This did make me think that they are wrong, they are using an existing principle and then they tinker until they like it. This is wrong (IMO) and I started reading any and all here on DiyAudio, and they are all wrong :) The next step is what then, if everybody is wrong what is good, and is it even possible to be good? I do not think so, at best you can be different and then, when different, you can try to do the best possible, and maybe, just maybe, it will be o.k. (not good, but o.k.) that is where I am now (after 3 versions of this amplifier).

The simulator is a tool, like a hammer, nothing more nothing less. The work is done in the 'brain'. Do I believe any of those (the tool(s) and the brain), no, I'm not a believer I'm an engineer (and will always be).

Just my opinion :) to answer the question. In the end you always will be wrong (somewhere) and that is good (and should be acknowledged).

I'm happy to be wrong, and I'm happy to (try to) do it better next time :) Please, let there be a next time!

Being wrong must be celebrated (FF :)).

Last edited:
Joachim Frans tanks for replies
IMO feelings on a very technical IMO at time alienating tread for the like of me that are more listeners of records (now that I don't make them anymore) and less proficient in electronics that most here.

Yes Frans we can only be a bit less wrong the next time around but we persist pester and make mistakes and eventually learn and came back for more.

Big Big Tanks to you Sirs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.