Masterpiece - Page 128 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2013, 04:28 PM   #1271
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Very interesting.
Yes, since i heard the tube supply i am convinced the PSU makes a big difference.
Of cause, everybody is saying so but it is more dramatic then i thought.
I know that
Old 20th June 2013, 06:15 PM   #1272
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very interesting.
Yes, since i heard the tube supply i am convinced the PSU makes a big difference.
Of cause, everybody is saying so but it is more dramatic then i thought.
I know that!! Remember when I said that some time ago I got attacked (just like for the V-Caps that turned out to be outstanding caps) told that the circuit doesn't have enough PSU Rejection?

If you guys trust me a bit more ahahaha I can lead you into the holy of the audio...right there!!

Anyway, I still think that shunts deserves attention, I feel there are potentials maybe combined with tube rectification.
I can't say that for sure as my first version of shunt sounded great with batteries not so much with regular tranny, but I have a revised version of that shunt which promises to behave much better so I will give it a try to that one too and see what happens.
Old 20th June 2013, 06:17 PM   #1273
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
And I do agree to that. Current experience tells me that a PSU, first and for all, be a 'Low-pass-filter', this should take out all HF-junk. Secondly it should have a good line regulation (it's own PSRR) to be able to block all incoming junk (I think that the Paradise PSU is real good at this). Next, when powering an pre-amp, there should be a modest amount of load regulation, all other load regulation should be done by local decoupling.
yeah but your thoughts still don't explain why your shunt sounds dull compared to the simple rectifier solution...and apparently simulates 1billions dB of attenuation

Old 20th June 2013, 06:20 PM   #1274
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm4nine View Post
As far as I can see from the pictures Andrej's supply has tube rectifiers followed by a LC-filter (no CLC!) and paralleled zeners. This is still a (passive) shunt design!
Yes, this is still a passive design like you say.
This would prove that there is a way to make a shunt sound extremely good!
I don't know the internal contruction of these zeners but I think that putting an actual shunt on circuit have much more work to refine it the way you want it to sound compared to a simple zener...but it is doable!
Old 20th June 2013, 06:36 PM   #1275
diyAudio Member

Any regulation has a dynamic impedance in the time domain. Be it series, be it shunt, be it a mix.
I do not trust simple simulation in LT-Spice.
Where is the Monte Carlo Analisys ?
Where is thermal distortion ?
Where is the impuls response ?
etc.etc.
Old 20th June 2013, 06:40 PM   #1276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any regulation has a dynamic impedance in the time domain. Be it series, be it shunt, be it a mix.
I do not trust simple simulation in LT-Spice.
Where is the Monte Carlo Analisys ?
Where is thermal distortion ?
Where is the impuls response ?
etc.etc.
I have never ran such a detailed analysis on something other than when I was in school....I wouldn't know now where to begin nor understand the practicle sense of doing that since ultimate goal is sound quality and I don't know where these info would do for you.
Old 20th June 2013, 06:44 PM   #1277
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanoo View Post
yeah but your thoughts still don't explain why your shunt sounds dull compared to the simple rectifier solution...and apparently simulates 1billions dB of attenuation

I can not answer that as I do not have this experience. Basically the shunt is exactly the same as the Salas shunt, is the Salas shunt sounding dull? and/or attenuated (by 10^9 (units?))?
Old 20th June 2013, 06:56 PM   #1278
diyAudio Member

As Joachim said there is more things involved to have a very good sounding regulated PSU.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:14 PM   #1279
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
I can not answer that as I do not have this experience. Basically the shunt is exactly the same as the Salas shunt, is the Salas shunt sounding dull? and/or attenuated (by 10^9 (units?))?
I did not see credit in the guide though.
The general architecture is following, especially in the parallel part. Which is different in open loop parameters and biasing. The CCS in yours is BJT CV+CC, i.e. much different.
Its very easy to change everything with just values, imagine what happens with secondary differentiations and other parts choices.
You can have the same reg with two different loads described harsh or dull. Difficult to strike balance for a general apps shunt reg. System integration is the key.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:17 PM   #1280
diyAudio Member

But who knows wich is the best system integration or better how to know the best system integration?

Hide this!Advertise here!