turntable design and build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Aurora-
Any drawing would be of great help and I am in no rush as I am still in the research and development stage, which seems like I am in a constant state there of. I could really use a platter drawing, the bearing I am going to buy but if your drawing of the bearing will help me to further understand the design concept I would happily look at that as well.
Thanks so much for your help!!!
Old 11th September 2012, 08:05 PM   #12
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic Signature Final tool

ijp
The turntable in my original message is manufactured by Acoustic Signature, a German outfit. I bought one and have modified it a bit. I fabricated a round tonearm mount for the Graham tonearm in the attached photo, then more recently, I built a new outrigger arm and tonearm mount (the big round cylinder) on which the Trans-Fi Terminator linear air bearing tonearm sits (great model for a DIY tonearm project too!)

Since it's a manufactured table, I don't have drawings, but the platter is 12-3/16" in diameter. It's just a hair under 2" tall.

In terms of getting the motor and spindle bearing lined up, and getting tonearm-to-platter geometry set, the answer is to build adjustability into the design:
The 3 spiked feet underneath the platter base on the Final Tool are adjustable. This allows you to level the table, but would also allow you to precisely set the relation between motor height and platter spindle bearing if you wanted. The outrigger arm on which my tonearm is mounted to the platter base with bolts has slots instead of just holes. With the slot, you can adjust the effective length of the outrigger to set your tonearm pivot wherever it needs to be for the tonearm you want to use.
BB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Tool Terminator.jpg (105.2 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by bbftx; 11th September 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11th September 2012, 08:20 PM   #13
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

ijp - drop me PM with your regular E-mail........
Old 25th September 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
j0nas is offline j0nas  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

look site Welcome to the Frontpage
Old 10th October 2012, 05:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default D.I.Y. Thorens based gyrodec tribute with Ladegaard arm

Hi,
I built my own turntable a couple of years ago, based on a Thorens td160 that I have had for years that was looking a little worse for wear. I used the platter and bearing + motor and springs, styled on the Gyrodec by Mitchell the base is made from mdf spray painted silver. Originally I had used the thorens arm but recently I built my own arm based on a design by Poul Ladegaard.

If you are going to build your own turntable I seriously recommend you look into this arm and Incorporate it into you final design, the arm you can see in the picture cost less than 50 to build and this includes 25 for the air pump it can be built using simple tools (drills junior hacksaw etc.) and it sounds great most noticeable on the final tracks on Lp's where the zero tacking error digs out extra detail that is normally hidden by by the more compressed inner grooves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13990.jpg (534.3 KB, 227 views)
Old 17th October 2012, 11:06 PM   #16
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, building a turntable is not really like building a piece of furniture (for example), it very much more like constructing a hybrid between a piece of precision measuring equipment and a musical instrument. Any, 'how to' plans are likely to be extremely simplistic and gloss over, or ignore, the significant complexities at work. Ultimately, it depends on how high a performance level you wish to achieve.

Click the image to open in full size.

This deck has been in development for nearly 20 years and even since this picture was taken the record clamp has been improved and so has an element of the drive system.

Last edited by YNWOAN; 17th October 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Style over substance is endemic in general turntable design, and sorting
the style from the substance not easy, and mainly a very personal task.

Experimentation is better than dogma, I've built / rebuilt a few and
have some idea what works for me, but nowhere near definitive.

rgds, sreten.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:25 PM   #18
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Indeed, most DIY turntable projects that I have seen essentially seek to emulate the aesthetic of an existing design without addressing the design precepts (which is inside out as far as I am concerned).

Hide this!Advertise here!