Bought a Mint Technics 1200 Mk2 turntable ! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 04:32 AM   #11
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcrx View Post
I live in Canada. We are not stuuuupid enough to give away stuff like that for free.
:P yep, It wasn't able to keep a high enough speed, so I done some reading and as it turns out a quick and easy fix is to simply re-solder all contacts on the main board and on the motor PCB and walla, works perfect again.

Mine could do with a recapping though, on the as-yet-to-do list!
Old 1st November 2012, 04:46 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
For my money, a technics 1200 is fantastic value. its a really solid piece of gear, heaps of spares and it spins records very accurately and quietly. And that's about all you need.
Old 7th November 2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Robcrx is offline Robcrx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpeters View Post
For my money, a technics 1200 is fantastic value. its a really solid piece of gear, heaps of spares and it spins records very accurately and quietly. And that's about all you need.
Yup indeed all I want. I highly doubt that another more expensive table will sound much better to my ears in sound quality.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Congrats the Technics are a great TT. A couple of tips though, I remove the lid completely during playback as it acts like a big ear feeding the music back to the cart smearing the sound. Try this experiment.. Lower the stylus onto the record with the platter stationary and the volume turned up high. Now clap your hands or tap the shelf were the TT is located. What happens is a hum loop starts getting louder and louder. Your clap or tap is collected by the lid and fed into the plinth and then the cart, the sound comes out of the speakers louder repeating the loop louder each time. With music playing this constant looping smears the music. Now try the experiment again with no lid and it is impossible to get the hum loop going even tapping the TT itself.
Your Stanton is an OK cart but the Technics deserves better in the long run.
Great find though your Technics really looks mint!!
Regards
CL
Old 9th November 2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If You want to get decent sound out of your 1200, I suggest you invest in a decent turntable support. For instance a simple braced dedicated shelf. on a solid supporting wall will make a massive difference to your music.
Regards Xoc1
Old 14th November 2012, 04:12 AM   #16
Robcrx is offline Robcrx  Canada
diyAudio Member

thanks for advice
Old 25th November 2012, 02:04 PM   #17
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on your find! I recently acquired an SL-1200 as well, I love the 'table. Yours is very clean! It should last you a lifetime. They are great.

A few things -

Yes, look into wall mounts. They are fantastic and solve lots of issues. There is a clear change in sound and performance with a good shelf. A bad one is no better than a flimsy floor stand, however...

The -1200 is very sensitive to platter mats, and the stock rubber one is fairly boring sounding. Play around with different mats, and see what works for you. I am sure, however, that you won't keep the stock one after you have tried some 'good' mats. (Felt, however, sounds awful on it.)
Old 25th November 2012, 10:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
DIY Direct Drive
I have this plan to take a thick billet of aluminum, mount the 1200 bearing and board on it. Cover the lot with suitable wood. Remount the platter, possibly take the black squares of the side first on the lathe. Mount the PSU in a seperate box.
I am doubtful it will make much difference to the sound but it will impress the **** out of my girlfriend. A diy direct drive turntable!!!
Old 26th November 2012, 01:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

The rubber mat is actually needed for extra mass and damping the ringy platter so it should not be replaced, but you can put other mats over it. Felt actually works quite will with this arrangement, ie over the stock rubber.
Regards
CL
Old 26th November 2012, 01:27 AM   #20
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe latte View Post
Felt actually works quite will with this arrangement, ie over the stock rubber.
Aha! I never thought of that -- I wil try it!

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!