Paradise Builders

We have being talking about a low cost alternative to the OPA627 as a servo.
There is a new precission Fet Opamp from BB :
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2140.pdf
This one really has great DC specs, very low distortion, low noise and a wide PSU voltage range.
Needs a DIL adapter though to be used in the Paradise.
I have not tried it so far. Even for me as an opamp neard it is hard to catch up whats new and usefull.

Now that looks like a good find.

The change to OPA627 was expensive but worthwhile in lowering the DC offset.

I've used SO 8 adaptors before and it's not so hard to do.

The OPA140 like a good cost effective alternative for those that use equipment where low offset matters.

Bad burgers seem to be an international phenomenon which we have our fair share of here. :)

Go for the bratwurst next time.;)

Hi Guys

After a few weeks of settling down to the new Paradise sound I must say it’s just been bliss listening too many of my old forgotten favourites again.

My record collection never sounded so good :happy1:

Fast, dynamic, sweet, soulful with so much detail it’s hard to believe that I still have the same cartridge connected and not a much more expensive one.

BTW it’s soooo quiet even by Solid state standards. No hum (good work Alfred/Frans) and very, very little hiss.:)

The paradise has me wondering how much more it has in the tank so I think it’s going to be the Terminator next (I love linear and even the humble one I have blows my Tabriz ZI away).

I’ve built a few Phono stages and each time I finish one I say to myself ‘’never again’’ because they tend to magnify my mistakes too well.:headbash::headbash:

Well this time ‘’never again’’ just means that I think that the Paradise is just about as good as it gets.:king:

Thanks again Guys for a truly wonderful phono preamp.

anyone who has boards should get building. it's well worth the effort.

I think I have a better setup now. I found that the Clio noise level measured depends on the input attenuator setting. If I lower the input I got this noise floor from the Paradise. No more 60Hz spike, and nice RIAA curve can be seen. I've been listening to the Paradise with the OPA627 now, and there is no noise at all. It is a very silent preamp. Excellent :D

Attachments

• Paradise_Noise_Floor.JPG
    Paradise_Noise_Floor.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 553
Can you point me to this buffer original post? Thanks... SB

sure can

This may be a good place to start.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/239776-calvin-buffer-paradise.html

The first post has the build guide pdf which should give you enough for one of your beautiful etches.

It was also discussed more deeply on the MPP thread and here also

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/226099-preamp-buffers-simple-idea.html

If you’d like a little more reading.:devilr:

BTW your positive feedback on using the OPA627 made me decide to try to squeeze the DC offset just a little harder. :D

It works really well in my build.

Hi.
Nice design and very versatile shunt regulator. I have built one in order to supply +- 26 volts for a preamp. Stable and not hot at all. All I did was to increase the number of leds, lower the 10 ohm resistor, and add another heat sink the same dimension for the power transistors.

So it's feasible as a stand alone shunt regulator. Why not a thread as for the salas shunt?

Emil

Hi.
Nice design and very versatile shunt regulator. I have built one in order to supply +- 26 volts for a preamp. Stable and not hot at all. All I did was to increase the number of leds, lower the 10 ohm resistor, and add another heat sink the same dimension for the power transistors.

So it's feasible as a stand alone shunt regulator. Why not a thread as for the salas shunt?

Emil

Maybe, we have been looking into this.

Calvin Buffer Questions

I'm building the Calvin Buffer and I have a few questions. The Calvin buffer building guide has a schematic, and a parts list. Parts value in the list don't match the schematic. For example R5,R7 on the schematic are 6.8 ohms. The parts list closest value that I can guest is 22R, because R6,R11 are 2.2R on the schematic and in the BOM.

What are the correct values, is it the schematic or the BOM?

According to Calvin Q1,Q4 must be matched, Question at what IDSS?
The buffer assembly guide mention after the parts list that the input FET can be SK170 matched at 8.5ma. Do we need to match Q1,Q4 PF5102 at 8.5ma as well?

Thanks...
SB

I'm building the Calvin Buffer and I have a few questions. The Calvin buffer building guide has a schematic, and a parts list. Parts value in the list don't match the schematic. For example R5,R7 on the schematic are 6.8 ohms. The parts list closest value that I can guest is 22R, because R6,R11 are 2.2R on the schematic and in the BOM.

What are the correct values, is it the schematic or the BOM?

According to Calvin Q1,Q4 must be matched, Question at what IDSS?
The buffer assembly guide mention after the parts list that the input FET can be SK170 matched at 8.5ma. Do we need to match Q1,Q4 PF5102 at 8.5ma as well?

Thanks...
SB

Hi Algar

Sorry but I must have directed you to the first build guide by mistake:eek:

If you go to Alfred’s signature and click on the link list it will take you to the most recent build guide where your questions will be answered.

Here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218625-paradise-builders-324.html

Hope that helps.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Many thanks for helping shoom, thats great! Yes, my apologies, there were a couple hiccups (one of those 15 beers I was drinking when I wrote the assembly guide must have been sour :D) but its fixed now.

Listening to my Paradise right now after giving it to a friend for some weeks, feels like coming home :D

‘’Listening to my Paradise right now after giving it to a friend for some weeks, feels like coming home’’

And he gave you it back?:D

My vinyl replay really has had a big jump up in quality with the Paradise and I’m still just amazed that:

1) I actually managed to build it.:)
2) That it sounds so very good.:cool:

I found it a tough build and that’s for sure but the rewards are big.

Detailed and musical. Relaxed and at the same time dynamic. With the sort of clarity that comes with a super low noise circuit.

I’ve been building for 30 years now and it’s easily the best I’ve built ever. I was thinking about amp upgrades and so forth but the paradise has shown me a little more of what I have can do.

So now my only thoughts are on a better arm and cartridge combo.

Great work.:cheers:

Lovely phono pre.:yummy: