Paradise Builders

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Finally nailed it :)

After some mind stretching I decided to replace the mosfet driver bjt with a stronger one (highe hfe) and now everything works normally.

Now is time to build the external riaa filter for both boards.

PS: Led testing with a 9v batt can be a total disaster.... I managed to burn some leds this way and replacing them proved very board damaging.... DO NOT ATEMPT THIS AT HOME.

I just got my Paradise up and running yesterday and am listening to it now - simply astonishing - the best phono stage I have ever heard - I can't praise it enough!

null_zps237d85d5.jpg

I think that depends on how you build it. The best version of the Paradise i heard had a tube power supply build by my Lithunian friend Andrejs. That sounded as good as it gets, particular tonal shadings and colors.
What i found is exceptional with the Paradise is bass. It is very dynamic, deep and tight.
It is also very low noise.
The boards where conventional stuffed as in the guide that Hesener made.
No exotic parts.

I just got my Paradise up and running yesterday and am listening to it now - simply astonishing - the best phono stage I have ever heard - I can't praise it enough!

null_zps237d85d5.jpg
Finally someone coming up with a prereg. :D
Just to spoil J.G.s comment, he still had'nt the chance
to listen to the prereg until now.
We'll get that straight soon....

But,
YNWOAN,
why did you replace the foil C's with something else ?
Those you got with the Kit were chosen by some reason....

Last edited:
I had it working with a proto of the pre regulator.
Maybe the finished one is even better.
Anyway, that is the finest stage that our team can design for DIY.
I heard not one commercial stage that betters it in total.

It is semi affordable and making it any more complex would bring many in trouble.
There are many ways to tune it though. One is the Calvin buffer.
I plan a gathering where we can compare. The amount of people will be quite limited though.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Second board powered... no voltage on negative side... search for shorts... remove smd caps, replace smd caps... now + - 18v steady.... input offset (loaded at 47 ohms) = 0

Output offset wandering a bit.... -12 + 34 mA.... so far so good.

Only one issue, this worked out board has some strange behavior at startup.... the 2 led string in the positive ccs glow hard red for half a second before they steady as normal green at power on..... maybe I need a softstart :)