Paradise Builders

Trying to rid a little hum i am getting only once the cart hits the record. I can only hear it at about 3/4 volume plus but gets noisy after that.
I have a DCB1 without gain so i have to run the volume pretty high. If i disconnect the TT ground the hum increases dramatically.

Havent cased the PS yet, so there is no iec ground. RCA wire is Juniper with cotton, if that might be an issue? Any thoughts, otherwise sounds sweet!!

paradise001-1_zps5e3ef609.jpg

paradise002-1_zpseeac0347.jpg

Trying to rid a little hum i am getting only once the cart hits the record. I can only hear it at about 3/4 volume plus but gets noisy after that.
I have a DCB1 without gain so i have to run the volume pretty high. If i disconnect the TT ground the hum increases dramatically.

Havent cased the PS yet, so there is no iec ground. RCA wire is Juniper with cotton, if that might be an issue? Any thoughts, otherwise sounds sweet!!

First move the transformers way out of the way :) Then have a good look at the grounding schema in the building guide :)

Joined 2005
Paid Member

Hi Nick, from your pictures it seems that the metal chassis in wihch the phono preamps sit is not grounded. I think you should try to put a star ground between the input RCAs and connect the input grounds as well as TT ground there. If you want to do more, take some copper sheet metal, bend two "bathtubs" to go under the two PCBs, and connect those to the star ground as well (but otherwise they should be isolated).

hope that helps.....

which details of the paradise are mainly responsible for the micro details in the sound?
I have just compared my old preamp to the paradise, and the paradise is clean, and generally good sounding, and as close to noiseless as anyone can wish for.
The old input (Marshall Leach) has some hiss when crancked up, but at the same time it sounds like theres a lot more micro details in the sound (more hole through) Both have the same load resistors. Do anyone have some input on this?:)

My experience is that sound quality is not worse with an array of transistors. Most other designers have the same problem anyway. Accuphase, Constellation, Audio Research,
you name it. The Leach has around 100x more distortion. Harmonic distortion, especially 3rd that the Leach has can sound crispy and open.
Why the Paradise sounds as it sounds has being explained by me many times.
Sorry, pdul, i really like your presence here but i get a bit tired about that.

Hi Nick, from your pictures it seems that the metal chassis in wihch the phono preamps sit is not grounded. I think you should try to put a star ground between the input RCAs and connect the input grounds as well as TT ground there. If you want to do more, take some copper sheet metal, bend two "bathtubs" to go under the two PCBs, and connect those to the star ground as well (but otherwise they should be isolated).

hope that helps.....

Hesener thanks for being so specific, hum cured. :D

No want for micro details here, I have never heard so much resolution with analog before. I had a pair of Riken in the input that didnt work well at all but switching to a quiet PRP metal film solved that. Diana never sounded SOO good. I am very pleased outcome, thank you!

Paradise Phono pre
Sony PS-X70 Yamaha MC-1
Hottrodded DCB1
ClassD Audio SDS254
Wayne Parham Pi4 Speakers

paradise2003_zps5104280a.jpg

paradise2001_zps14ef9f04.jpg