Paradise Builders

I don't know which brand, they came with the parts group buy. They where BC337 (Q102, Q104), hFE~470. Large picture here. Replaced by the same type.

Another possible reason for problems - I have purchased 1000 Fairchild BC327 from Mouser because the "group buy BC327" had a too low HfE. Havn't had any issues yet, but one of the transistors in the bag had a totally shattered case. I was wondering what happens if a case has a crack that is small enough to not be noticed.

I have a question - I have removed the RIAA resistors that I used first because I will replace them with Rs that have the more linear curve. While I wait for the new Rs to arrive, is it OK to power the amplifier up and start the process of capacitor forming etc. with no RIAA resistors soldered in?

Regards
Sven

Last edited:
Tanks Sven
I also have 1000 each from Fairchild direct those are all pretty Hi HFE which I have used on the R2 build
My batch of GB is also covering different HFE ranges what brand are those anyone knows?
I just received 200 each from Diotec / Conrad's
which I will measure up when possible.

I have started a forum for swap of transistors my apologies if I have not been to active there but hopefully it will pick up gain.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/226166-paradise-bcxxx-40-a.html

Now I understand your question Sandro - in general, the group buy 327 have hFE mostly below 400, very difficult to find anything that matches the group buy 337 which concentrate around 480. The Fairchild 327 are concentrated around 440, however it is some kind of bell curve so finding enough 327 to match with the 337 from the group buy was possible. Biggest overlap in the 460 area, as to be expected ;).

I edited my last post kind of too late, so again my question - I have removed the RIAA resistors that I used first because I will replace them with Rs that have the more linear curve. While I wait for the new Rs to arrive, is it OK to power the amplifier up and start the process of capacitor forming etc. with no RIAA resistors soldered in?

Regards
Sven

I just hooked my paradise up with a simple psu, and it plays music:worship: no noise whatsoever, just music, but with less gain than i am used to, so the volume pot will be worn in a new part of the track:D My pu is a Dynavector Karat17D2 and the load resistor is 100ohm:) I am using the 220ohm Neumann resistors and i still have to try without, to see if i can hear any difference, but for now i am just listening to records:)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Frans though it might be worth mentioning here that I did not have to remove my heat sink because of a "precaution" I took for such occasions - I mounted it on 5mm spacers and as a result i do not have to remove it to access the parts underneath it.

The spacers are standard stuff available in all lengths.

Regards
Sven

That is a very cool idea, do you mind if I take your pictures for the assembly guide?