Paradise Builders

Some like their shunts hot. For the group buy we have to home in on a safe value though.
Virtually everything you do changes sound so we can discuss subjective impressions for the next years. That is fine with me.
I only would like to make sure that the people that buy the Paradise Kit plus the preregulator do not get the impression that they compromised.
I think with the chosen components and values the result will be excellent. There is always a tuning option though so please go ahead and try out whatever floats your boat.

Or sinks it :rolleyes:

Clearly I am excluded from the behind the curtains discussion and in regards to the parts GB if you are talking about the Paradise Goodies bags this got nothing to do with the voltage coming in from the Pre regulators.

I was only atempting to answer to post 1405 with my personal opinion based on the beta build I have been listening to for quite same time.

Besides Joakim in post 1419 has my 100% agreement
Frans in post 1420 suggest 25 V and maybe this is the sweet spot.
I am running 26 V and Iwill be more than happy to change that to 25 V DC entering The pardise boards

In the mean time HIFI cat gained a fair bit of information as answer to his post of the 12/02

Last edited:
Clearly I am excluded from the behind the curtains discussion and in regards to the parts GB if you are talking about the Paradise Goodies bags this got nothing to do with the voltage coming in from the Pre regulators.

I was only atempting to answer to post 1405 with my personal opinion based on the beta build I have been listening to for quite same time.

Nope Sandro,
you are not excluded, but this happens to be in german language.

And your build seems to have a slightly bigger cooler (like mine).
:worship:

In my experience Dales, especially the bigger sized ones, have a very slightly warm and spacially big sound. I use them in the RIAA and at the input to load the cartridge.
My standart resistor is the Yageo 1% metal film from Reichelt. No objection with the sound.
Somewhat better ( lower noise, better stability and tempco ) is the Beyschlag MMB.
Vishey Z Foils are very low noise and very high stability. Expensive and a liitle bit bright, so when your Paradise sounds too dark a Z Foil here and there can help the balance. It is more importand though how you stuff the RIAA. Michaels and my " house curve " gives tremendoes slam in the bass. Ricardos " mathematical" values give optimum neutrality, independent from the quality of the parts provided they are "good" industrial standart. Look into a Quad or McIntosh component. You will not see any " boutique" part and they are famous to last forever. Why ?

Last edited:
Do you have any experience with Vishay MRS25 1%?

Let me say a few things about http://www.vishay.com/docs/28724/mrs16m25.pdf.

In my opinion it looks like a reasonable, above average, performer. The tempco of 50ppm is not bad, but not very good also. Low tempco resistors do exhibit less thermal modulation. This is important, the resistor is advertised as a 600mW part, but at the specified 150C/W it will give you an temperature of 90C above environment :) and that makes the 50ppm significant. For me the true maximum dissipation for a resistor is at +20C, and thus this resistor, for me, would be used as an +/- 100mW item.

For long term stability I would like to see a 'glass' coted resistor. These are totally non-permeable (mostly by moisture) and the glass seems to withstand more thermic cycling.

Anyway, just some remarks :) Nothing said about the way they sound (I never used these).

Last edited:
another pic of paradise :). I did simple grounding and it is totally quiet. soundwise it startet with great dynamics but it was a little bright in my system with not very deep soundstage (a little metalised hüsker dü´sch). a post from RCruz encouraged me to play with just the 9.1k value of the RIAA and with about 9.3k to 9.6k i´ll find peace. Also the soudstage depth improved to be very good now. not shure if i had some oscillation. the improvement i felt in soundstage depth after installing the anti-osci-caps might have been a rather more psycolocical reason :D
so yes, it is a fantastic sounding stage. thank you!!
stefan
IMGDEAD]

Nice pic!

So I have started the filling the pcb's I received some months ago. I am one of the Kit GB participants. So far so good, I had no problems finding matching 327/337's in my goodie bag, which made me pretty happy.

Now on to the next one:
- I did not get J310's, but got J109's instead... ok or no ok? I know the answer was given some time ago, but did anyone actually use them succesfully? Any other adaptations needed? Or better to look for some J310's?

- I did not get SK170's but got J107's instead... same questions. ok or not ok? Any experiences? Any adjustments needed to use the J107's? Or better to look for SK170's

- Do these (j)fets need to be matched in one way or the other?

- Do the LEDs need to be selected or matched?

Thanks!

another pic of paradise :). I did simple grounding and it is totally quiet. soundwise it startet with great dynamics but it was a little bright in my system with not very deep soundstage (a little metalised hüsker dü´sch). a post from RCruz encouraged me to play with just the 9.1k value of the RIAA and with about 9.3k to 9.6k i´ll find peace. Also the soudstage depth improved to be very good now. not shure if i had some oscillation. the improvement i felt in soundstage depth after installing the anti-osci-caps might have been a rather more psycolocical reason :D
so yes, it is a fantastic sounding stage. thank you!!
stefan
IMGDEAD]

Nice, great looking build, have fun :D

Now on to the next one:
- I did not get J310's, but got J109's instead... ok or no ok? I know the answer was given some time ago, but did anyone actually use them succesfully? Any other adaptations needed? Or better to look for some J310's?

When using J109's in the PSU you may want to lower R108/208 from 3.3k to 1.8k, which will keep Id at 1mA. But if you leave the 3.3k resistors in place it will still work nicely at an Id of 600uA, it will lower the GBW a tiny bit. The point is you could temporarily use the J109 with the 3.3k resistors, and later replace the J309's with J310's while everything keeps on working :)