Paradise Builders

@chiily, IMO you are using BC327/337 with very high Hfe's in the PSU, it is not exactly oscillating but it is regulating as expected in a kind of semi-SMPS-mode (I would call it :)). You could try to use BC's with a lower Hfe or you could try to lower R100, 103, 200 and 203 from 330ohm down to 47ohm. Be sure that C105, 205 are of a high-esr (cheap) type (do not use low-esr capacitors here). Also you could try to add a small (10/20pf or so) capacitor between B and C of Q105, 205.

Thank you for your help...

Okay, I can't remember which hfe bin the PSU BCs came from...I'll try some from the lowest hfe bin, but the hfe of the 337 starts where the 327's hfe finishes :(. Is that for all the BCs in the regulator stage, or specific ones to target first?

Though Am I better lowering the resistors? Resistors are easier to de-solder :)

Last edited:
Hello there,
i dont know if it helps anyone.
But, before Chris/Take five, got his Paradise working,
he had very similar issues like noise, oszilation and so on.
He found his solution thru hooking up just one channel,
much better, but still a bit noisy.
Luckyly hes got some accus from his RC Hellacopta.
After installing double mono independent psus, just music !
Because those problems mentioned by other builders sound
similar to me, it might be helpful to know how EXACTLY their
PSUs are hooked up.
Possibly...

I have a simple CRCRC with four QSpeed diodes. R is 0.47, C is about 6,800uF each. Really simple...

As I've only built one board I just have one transformer, CRCRC - a mono supply.

None of the BC337s I have go that low..they start at around 500...

My GB BC 337 started from 490 upwards and Bc327 from only 310-360 thus not a single match transistor. I bought some BC 327/337- 25 from tayda electronics but most of them measured up to 300 only so the search continues.From Oz the options are limited in ordering components and so expensive.
Quan.

And we are back to BCXXX40 problem

I have started a new tread maybe worth posting there.
The whole Idea is to swap transistors as needed

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/226166-paradise-bcxxx-40-a.html

Chiily I have plenty of low 327 (380 Hfe) as posted there and far to many 327 with Hfe abowe 560 my NPN are around 500 (fairchild) and 420 (GB)
Got 2 batches from Fairchild and the ones in goodies bag

Unless we help each others out matching Hfe is a problem
send PM with your addres and I will send you same of what I have if you need it
I am going to order same from diotec from conrads as soon as my bank account recovers from the recent festivity:eek:

But once more my R2 boards where built with the realy hi Fairchilds and are fine

Last edited:
And we are back to BCXXX40 problem

I have started a new tread maybe worth posting there.
The whole Idea is to swap transistors as needed

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/226166-paradise-bcxxx-40-a.html

Chiily I have plenty of low 327 (380 Hfe) as posted there and far to many 327 with Hfe abowe 560 my NPN are around 500 (fairchild) and 420 (GB)
Got 2 batches from Fairchild and the ones in goodies bag

Unless we help each others out matching Hfe is a problem
send PM with your addres and I will send you same of what I have if you need it
I am going to order same from diotec from conrads as soon as my bank account recovers from the recent festivity:eek:

But once more my R2 boards where built with the realy hi Fairchilds and are fine

Thank you. Pm on your way. BTW i did post on the trade/swap thread but no reply.
quan.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help...

Okay, I can't remember which hfe bin the PSU BCs came from...I'll try some from the lowest hfe bin, but the hfe of the 337 starts where the 327's hfe finishes :(. Is that for all the BCs in the regulator stage, or specific ones to target first?

Though Am I better lowering the resistors? Resistors are easier to de-solder :)

The resistors is easiest, just parallel the 330 by a 56ohm value and when it makes no improvements you can easily remove them.

Maybe the next thing to try is adding the ceramic 10/20 (or even up to 100pf) capacitors, this is also easy to implement and remove (if needed).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I finally fired up the Paradise;well regulator sections only as I still need to obtain better matched transistors; and it worked as expected :up:
I used a transformer with 20V secondaries which gave +- 27.3 vdc at the board and was able to adjust the reg output when things had warmed up.The heatsink settled at 50C after 30/40 mins. Back to matching transistors.

I finally fired up the Paradise;well regulator sections only as I still need to obtain better matched transistors; and it worked as expected :up:
I used a transformer with 20V secondaries which gave +- 27.3 vdc at the board and was able to adjust the reg output when things had warmed up.The heatsink settled at 50C after 30/40 mins. Back to matching transistors.

Cool, or actually rather warm but not to (e.g. 50degC if fine).

One step beyond: impatient i build up a psu with stock parts of my shelf. Works better like the lipo batteries, no hum, no noise, i´m amazed about the silence.

I think it´s also the result of the shunt regulator design, thank you FdW!

paradise3.jpg

Next step: sending some bucks to italy, buying some cases. I want build it up like my sold pass pearl:

pearl_v.jpg

pearl_o.jpg

Chris