Paradise Builders

uncomfortably hot

Hello,

I am nearly at the point to hook the Paradise to my setup.

I've got everything working, but after having it for 2 hrs.
on the mains I realized the frightening temperature of the
heatsinks.
I can touch them only for seconds.

I run in the regulator with about 29 volts, that should be ok.

But I don't like to burn my house down on accident.

Is there a easy way to get the 29 v a little down to have a
little more headroom regarding the heatsinks?

Thanks,
Christoph

IMGP2968.JPG
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I can touch them only for seconds.

If you can touch it, then it will be about 80degC, that is acceptable (although a bit high). You can lower the input voltage of the PSU by adding a bit of series resistance to the rectified transformer output, the voltage to the PSU will drop by 1,5V for each 10ohm. In your case you could drop 3V and you should thus use 20ohms (2 * 1.5V = 3Watt will be dissipated by the resistor).

According to Mpp#6462 you could even drop 4.5V = 30Ohm = 4.5Watt

Be sure that air circulates freely around the heatsink.

These are the most important/relevant messages regarding PSU and Pre-Reg.

1. Mpp #4375 PSU-pre-regulator.
  2. Mpp #4610 V2 Schemas UPS and Amp.
  3. Mpp #6506 CCS fine-tuning.
  4. Mpp #6462 PSU with my notes.
  5. Mpp #6809 Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt with a regulated power supply.
  6. Mpp #7127 More about transformer selection.
  7. Mpp #7635 Single and dual transformer wiring (also corrected drawing).
  8. Mpp #7733 Grounding (PSU, RIAA and Player).
  9. Mpp #7810 35V PSU for the CroMagnon.
  10. Mpp #7830 The PSU explained.
  11. PradiseBuilders #155 Vdc input voltage minimum simulated.
Have a look at these and their following messages.

Last edited:
And if you have some spare time, go-to Google.com (yes that one :)). In the search-bar type the name of your favorite component (BD140? or (as I did here) LME49710). Then select 'Images' and be amazed :). Looking at these images you see odd items (or just interesting ones), select one and have a look.

BTW this is what I found in the LME49710 search results opamp??

Hello,
today i start up my Paradise. First i started with one supply for both boards, all measurements were fine and so i connect my Denon 103 after set up DC Offset with a dummy.

Big Noise was the first result. Searching the source i found out that both channels playing fine for itself, without pluging the other Channel, it must be a problem with ground.

Second start with two supplies and seperate grounds, lipo batteries from my rc helicopter, and the paradise works fine. So its no question for me to bulid up to supplies.

I was suprised about the sound at the first beginning, fast, open and clear, the perfect match for my DIY setup > Audio » Hörraum

Great job guys! Special thanks to Gerhad for this mad design, i saw and heard one of the first hedgehog at frickelfest 2010 ;)

Best regards
Chris

paradise2.jpg