Paradise Builders - Page 96 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 11:09 PM   #951
chiily is offline chiily  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
@chiily, IMO you are using BC327/337 with very high Hfe's in the PSU, it is not exactly oscillating but it is regulating as expected in a kind of semi-SMPS-mode (I would call it ). You could try to use BC's with a lower Hfe or you could try to lower R100, 103, 200 and 203 from 330ohm down to 47ohm. Be sure that C105, 205 are of a high-esr (cheap) type (do not use low-esr capacitors here). Also you could try to add a small (10/20pf or so) capacitor between B and C of Q105, 205.
I've tried paralleling R100, R103, R200 and R203 (under the heatsink) with 50R and I've re-soldered C105 and C205 to the board - the oscillation is still there.

I will try a small cap (polystyrene) between the B&C of Q105 and Q205 next.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:36 PM   #952
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Sandro called in today with his built up Paradise.

He's made a nice job of them, the pre-reg sits in its own case, and is built up using his own pcb and hand wound coils with full wave rectification, this feeds the power out via umbilical to the phonostage proper which also includes two separate CRCRCR smoother boards to further filter the dc before it hits the shunts.

Click the image to open in full size.

We plugged in straight in and turned it on and listened to it without any warm up or settling in. he has it set-up for a denon cart at 100 ohms so is a fair way off where I usually have my benz loaded, circa 3-10k and might have rolled things off a little- I've yet to assess what load the Benz LP likes with the Paradise.

Click the image to open in full size.

Right from the off the sound was excellent with great separation and good precision. bass is about as deep and extended as I've heard on vinyl, with exceptional texture and nuance all the way down to the bottom. Treble was similarly well resolved and brilliant without being overly etched. The sense of dynamic contrast that the paradise can portray is what really sets it apart for me, even with complex passages it never got bogged down or heavy. It kept a handle on things all the way through 'frame by frame' keep Fripp's guitar separate and positioned forward of Levin's stick bass and rendering all the time signature changes with perfect clarity. It never lost its way.

It's spurred me on to sort out the cases for my own sooner than i thought I would.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:41 PM   #953
diyAudio Member

Cool, Paradise is happening in England.
Old 9th January 2013, 07:08 AM   #954
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Sandro called in today with his built up Paradise.

Tanks Simon and tanks for coffe (Jlly on proper Bialetti top of stove thinghie, been a long time)
It was a real plesure to pop up meet you and listen to Paradise R2 in a different enviroment.

Just one more confirmation of virtues of Paradise.
And this is just R2 built in a rush R3 is gonna be betterer I am sure
Old 9th January 2013, 07:43 AM   #955
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Right from the off the sound was excellent with great separation and good precision. bass is about as deep and extended as I've heard on vinyl, with exceptional texture and nuance ...
Nice, happy listening
Old 9th January 2013, 08:09 AM   #956
diyAudio Member

Hello,

finally got my Paradise running.

There was no way to have it in the same enclosure with the psu, which board I put in the middle always produces heavy hum.
I did rearrange the toroidals and the cabelling, capsuled the psu hermetic with 1.5mm steel, but it was as you promised, the psu and the boards have to go in separate cases.
This is to do for me now.

But I have the Paradise now sitting on top of a lid from a Clarks shoe box, the psu ~1 meter away from it and it is a charm to listen.
A little hum when playing loud, (not used your grounding scemes, I have to improve) but also really warm, deep but tight bass, no sss on the hights, just as I like it.
I have a Ortofon MC10 super mkII installed on a (Trio) Kenwood L07-D, loaded with 47 ohms (I try 100 ohms later).

I did not mind my measurings, which are all not too bad as you said.
And I have the highest hfe on the input, around 520.

This is for now, I ordered steel sheets for the psu housing and speakons for the connections.
Will send pictures after finishing,

best regards and thanks for all your helping and advices,

Christoph
Old 9th January 2013, 08:23 AM   #957
kamis is offline kamis  Serbia
diyAudio Member

For one transformer power supply it is simpler to use two bridge PS( one half of proposed two transformer PS), connected with preamp with 3 wire cable.
Centre tap grond loop will be avoided. Krell used the same approach in KPE phono stage .
Old 9th January 2013, 08:30 AM   #958
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesener View Post
I...The SMD caps should go on there, quite a few people find that they do not need them but as precautionary measure they should go in, I think.

hope that helps....
Thanks Alfred.

Regards
Sven
Old 9th January 2013, 09:04 AM   #959
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you Alfred.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:33 AM   #960
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brozatus View Post
finally got my Paradise running.
Ends well all well, congratulations and happy listening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All%27s...That_Ends_Well

Last edited by FdW; 9th January 2013 at 09:39 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!