Paradise Builders - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #941
diyAudio Member

Apologies for asking probably stupid quesions but I haven't followed the complete MPP thread. Alfred, you write in the assembly guide "If you want to put the SMD decoupling caps on the bottom side, do that before the heatsink assembly but it doesnt matter much." What does "if you want to" mean - are the SMD caps optional?

Thanks
Sven

Edit: Nice listening room, Chris.

Last edited by Abraxas336; 8th January 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #942
Take5 is offline Take5  Germany
diyAudio Member

Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Cool, tell me more about the sound. This should be encouraging for the other builders.
First, iam not the guy fr big words about sound because in my opinion its a very subjectively thing. Secondly, its difficult for me in english because im not a native speaker, but i will try it:

First impression after powering up was a clear, open sound. After a few hours of listening the paradise sounds clean with a phantastic depiction.The phantom sources of the speakers are exactly represented, so there are many details to hear because there is no overlap or blur effects. Soundstage set back slightly with perfect focus in the middle. In this comparison, for example, loses a pass pearl + ono MC pre.

The tuning of the paradise sounds straight, with no accentuation at any frequency range, very balanced. For some guys perhaps hard stuff, i like it.. But this can be tuned with the RIAA caps.

I hear with a Denon DL 103 in a selfmade zebrano wood body, after searching for five years the perfect cartridge class up 1k Euro its my choise.

Until now I heard with a pre with INA 103 at the first stage , an OP for microphone amplifier, the concept is also DC coupled and sounds well.
The future will show whether the Paradise will replace this Pre, currently I think yes.

Chris

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:36 PM   #943
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Paradise not even boxed and already going strong thanks for the report, and nice setup, very nice player.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:43 PM   #944
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
Paradise not even boxed and already going strong ,
Its time for cases, from 90db up there are microphonic effects

Quote:
and nice setup, very nice player.
thanks!

Chris

Last edited by Take5; 8th January 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:00 PM   #945
diyAudio Member

Nice setup and thanks for the flowers !
Old 8th January 2013, 08:21 PM   #946
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
thanks for the flowers !
dito!

Chris
Old 8th January 2013, 08:30 PM   #947
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris

Nice TT

What cartridge load resistor do you use with the denon dl103 ?
Old 8th January 2013, 09:22 PM   #948
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take5 View Post
Sound

First, iam not the guy fr big words about sound because in my opinion its a very subjectively thing. Secondly, its difficult for me in english because im not a native speaker, but i will try it:

First impression after powering up was a clear, open sound. After a few hours of listening the paradise sounds clean with a phantastic depiction.The phantom sources of the speakers are exactly represented, so there are many details to hear because there is no overlap or blur effects. Soundstage set back slightly with perfect focus in the middle. In this comparison, for example, loses a pass pearl + ono MC pre.

The tuning of the paradise sounds straight, with no accentuation at any frequency range, very balanced. For some guys perhaps hard stuff, i like it.. But this can be tuned with the RIAA caps.

I hear with a Denon DL 103 in a selfmade zebrano wood body, after searching for five years the perfect cartridge class up 1k Euro its my choise.

Until now I heard with a pre with INA 103 at the first stage , an OP for microphone amplifier, the concept is also DC coupled and sounds well.
The future will show whether the Paradise will replace this Pre, currently I think yes.

Chris
very nice! this matches many of the betabuilders' impressions of sound (and mine as well). Nice setup!
Still have a DL103 re-tipped, in aluminum body, waiting for its first usage, so after your experience here I will certainly give it a try.....
Old 8th January 2013, 09:24 PM   #949
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas336 View Post
Apologies for asking probably stupid quesions but I haven't followed the complete MPP thread. Alfred, you write in the assembly guide "If you want to put the SMD decoupling caps on the bottom side, do that before the heatsink assembly but it doesnt matter much." What does "if you want to" mean - are the SMD caps optional?

Thanks
Sven

Edit: Nice listening room, Chris.
It doesnt matter much if you put the SMD caps before or after the heatsink, I just find that its a little easier to solder (because the PCB can lie flat - once the heatsink is on there, mounting the caps is a little more complicated). The SMD caps should go on there, quite a few people find that they do not need them but as precautionary measure they should go in, I think.

hope that helps....
Old 8th January 2013, 09:34 PM   #950
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
What cartridge load resistor do you use with the denon dl103 ?
Unexpectedly the normal load impedance between 80 - 100 Ohm, used at my other pre, doesnt work. The paradise sounds extremly center weighted.

After some experiments, in my setup 2k works very fine.

@ alfred
DL 103: try also a tracking force of 3 grams, sounds better.

Thank you guys for the flowers.

Chris

Last edited by Take5; 8th January 2013 at 09:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!