Paradise Builders

I have some caps that are 7.5mm, can i install them like this??

paradise005_zpsadd2f5c0.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
These are the ones I have. Unfortunately, when I put them (all I have) on the Chinese tester, I got an "error device defect". Don't know whether that's the tester or the caps?

As you see there are 2 types:
- marked emz (different logo than
posted earlier though), 100F (what value is that... 100pf?)
- marked s+m, 120F

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
sorry, forgot to take that scope shot. But the output voltage was fluctuating +/-100mV with frequencies below 1Hz, and when I blew on the input stage transistors the voltage was moving quite a bit.... On my well-run-in Paradise those fluctuations were much smaller.

Hey Alfred what's up? Can you please refresh me here a bit? Got around to collect some missing parts today and stuffed some already on one board. What was the story with the 150K resistors around the opamp again? Am I supposed to use an order of magnitude lower so to surely get low DC offset or is it OK I start with or about the originally recommended? Thanx.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
hi Salas, please just go ahead with the values as published. The output voltage will show low frequency fluctuations of ~100mVpp upon first turn on, and when the whole thing settles that voltage will come down.

This voltage is driven by the low frequency noise of the input dransistors, forming of the 6800uF elcaps, and thermal variations around the input stage. If it is too much, you could e.g. reduce the capacitor of the servo. Reducing the 150k resistors R43a/b is only necessary when there is too much (DC) offset in the amplifier, and the servo output (pin 6) is very high.

If the remainder of your system is not DC coupled, you should have no issue whatsoever.

hope that helps.....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Alright Alfred cheers for the clarifications, will start by the book. I just remembered having read something about it in the past here and thought I better confirm. Having to sort out some semis now I guess. Will use linear lab PSU and single channel first so to current limit for possible stuffing errors and to gather a reference set of measurements before adding its own PSU section.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
another pic of paradise :). I did simple grounding and it is totally quiet. soundwise it startet with great dynamics but it was a little bright in my system with not very deep soundstage (a little metalised hüsker dü´sch). a post from RCruz encouraged me to play with just the 9.1k value of the RIAA and with about 9.3k to 9.6k i´ll find peace. Also the soudstage depth improved to be very good now. not shure if i had some oscillation. the improvement i felt in soundstage depth after installing the anti-osci-caps might have been a rather more psycolocical reason :D
so yes, it is a fantastic sounding stage. thank you!!
stefan
IMGDEAD]
As a matter of fact, using the stock 33.3nF in the riaa filter, the most correct value for the corresponding resistor would be 9550 ohm because 9550 x 0.0333 = 318uS

So your choice of 9k6 corroborates my calculations :)

Of course I would not stop there and somehow reduce the bass resistor and also increase the trebble cap to 11.4n but I am glad you like the aproximation.