Paradise Builders

Joined 2006
Paid Member
These values should be 11nF and 33.3nF.

First experiment would be to add 200pF to the 11nF caps.... If loosing too much highs, reduce to 100pF.

Also R18 is indicated as 9k1 r but I found using 9k9 instead can lift the mid freq and provide a much more linear response.

With 9k1 in some systems can produce a dip in the mids and a lift in the highs.

IMO worth to try :)

Capacitors bad vs good

So I told you to get a ‘bad capacitor’, so they tell me. Last weekend I was in a far, far, far away place called ‘FrickelFest’ and the question was asked, so here is the answer. Politically correct it would be; there are no bad capacitors, but some are just less sophisticated. What was the context of the question you may ask, so it was booze, lots of it, LP’s where involved, Paradise was discussed. Ahh… you may now think it’s all about Paradise, and yes it is. The notion is, there are no bad capacitors in Paradise, and I did not meant to tell anyone to add a bad capacitor to Paradise.

Now on a more serious note, what capacitor can be a less sophisticated one, and what are the others (that do not need to be less sophisticated). Is we take a look at the PSU of the Paradise build we see four electrolytic capacitors in each PSU (these are C100(100u), C101(10u), C103(100u) and C105(10u)) from these the first 3 should be good, low ESR, high quality, types. The fourth one, C105, needs to be of a lesser type (not bad, but less sophisticated :)), the most important parameter here is ESR, this fourth capacitor, C105, needs to have an ESR of between 1 and 3 Ohm.

None of the four electrolytic capacitors that can be found in the PSU are very quality critical, if any you should select C104 to be a nice high quality one, one with low ESR and a very good frequency bandwidth. For the first three (C100, C101 and C103) select a nice Panasonic audio grade one, for the fourth (C105) select a (most of time very cheap) type with a higher that average ESR.

Here is a selection of low ESR audio grade (what ever that is :)) capacitors:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded | Mouser

Here a selection of higher ESR capacitors:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded | Mouser

For the low ESR selection sort the list on price and get one of the more expensive ones, for the high ESR type do the opposite, sort on price and get one of the cheapest. Check the datasheet and verify that the capacitor is the one that is right, made of the right stuff, for the job, if in doubt ask :) One thing you should do is, select a capacitor with a temperature range up to 105C, these will have a longer application life (125C would even be better :)).

You could use this as the high ESR part http://www.lelon.com.tw/down.php?f=/file/22.pdf&n=P66-P68 RGA.pdf and do not use this one http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/293/e-lf-217854.pdf but it will be a verry nice one to select as one of the low ESR, high quality ones.

P.s. the booze is wearing off :)

These are the most important/relevant messages regarding PSU and Pre-Reg.
  1. Mpp #4375 PSU-pre-regulator.
  2. Mpp #4610 V2 Schemas UPS and Amp.
  3. Mpp #6506 CCS fine-tuning.
  4. Mpp #6462 PSU with my notes.
  5. Mpp #6809 Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt with a regulated power supply.
  6. Mpp #7127 More about transformer selection.
  7. Mpp #7635 Single and dual transformer wiring (also corrected drawing) (See also #7733).
  8. Mpp #7733 Grounding (PSU, RIAA and Player).
  9. Mpp #7810 35V PSU for the CroMagnon.
  10. Mpp #7830 The PSU explained.
  11. PradiseBuilders #13 Schema's and assembly guide.
  12. PradiseBuilders #155 Vdc input voltage minimum simulated.
  13. PradiseBuilders #970 PSU oscillates; posible solutions?
  14. PradiseBuilders #983 Compensating the PSU for oscillations.
  15. PradiseBuilders #1173 Fixing oscillations (up to #1182).
  16. PradiseBuilders #1322 Fuse :).
  17. PradiseBuilders #1387 Updated Paradise R3 assembly guide (Also German).
  18. PradiseBuilders #1403 Capacitors bad vs good.
Have a look at these and their following messages.

Attachments

• chinacapacitorek1.jpg
    chinacapacitorek1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
Tried 24 V DC entering the Paradise suply and it feels like is loosing a bit of autority and controll id does still work

24 V AC X 1.471 is about (consider diode loss and such) 35 V DC sink especialy one on goodies bag will get realy hot

18 V AC 26 V DC is reccomended but see Above
20 V AC 29 V DC IMO is one that sound best whitout pushing heath to far as the suply is on board and in same enclosure one need cosider thermals and efect they have on other transistors

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you, Frans

One more Question:

Which is the minimum Input Voltage into the PSU?

I have found in the thread 2x 28V AC as Input in the Preregulation,
some people plan to use only 2x24V AC.

Use 18Vac up to 20Vac, the 18Vac is fine but you need to use a good, low drop, rectifier diode. Some people may find that the 18Vac transformer leaves to little regulation margin (see #1406), in that case (or to prevent that) a 19Vac or 20Vac transformer may be your poison :) in my opinion there is no harm in using a 20Vac transformer (the amount of 'extra' dissipation is less than 1.5Watt).

And, 24Vac, not to mention 28Vac, is too high! (Good catch Bksabath).

Last edited:
tanks Frans
It can be done but extra cooling is a must I toke a few temperature mesurament on MY Paradise R2

It may be worth to run the trafos on a Variac ad see what happens with different voltages IMO 18 AC may be a bit border line botom and IMO Paradise start to loose a bit of the fantastic attack

Naturaly if one is stuck with a pair of trafos with higher voltagge there are gains to be made by implementing a further CRC in the pre regulators

@Cat:
Perhaps the most correct thing to say is to use 29V DC AFTER PSU into Paradise. Depending on what u use in your PSU (with/without choke, how much will be lost in choke, CLC, etc) you can calculate back what you are needing.

The proposed chokes by JG drop 8V !!! --> Pre-Reg #33

29 V DC IMO is one that sound best whitout pushing heath to far as the suply is on board and in same enclosure one need cosider thermals and efect they have on other transistors

Last edited:
@Cat:
Perhaps the most correct thing to say is to use 29V DC AFTER PSU into Paradise. Depending on what u use in your PSU (with/without choke, how much will be lost in choke, CLC, etc) you can calculate back what you are needing.

The proposed chokes by JG drop 8V !!! --> Pre-Reg #33

Quite right Sir
IMO 26V DC entering Paradise boards sound better than 24V DC
29 V DC is again IMO a bit to much for the sinks especialy as the one suplied with the GB goodies bag are a bit smaller than the one I had with the R2 build.

Fraaans,
would you mind to drop a word or two here ? :cool:

No change here, see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218625-paradise-builders-16.html#post3222230

An input voltage on the PSU (on the Paradise board) of 25Vdc is good, slightly more may be done (give it a bit more regulation margin). For this an 18Vac (or slightly more should be used). If you are adding the pre-pre with the 40Ohm resistor (or yoke) then you need 150mV * 40Ohm = 6Volt extra, that is 25Vdc + 6Vdc = 31Vdc. For this you need a (31Vdc + 1Vdc(Rectifier)) / Sqrt(2) = 23Vac transformer (24Vac will be fine :)). This answers the question?

When dropping 8V (like here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218625-paradise-builders-142.html#post3369288 said) you need a 25Vac transformer (about :)).

Last edited:
Some like their shunts hot. For the group buy we have to home in on a safe value though.
Virtually everything you do changes sound so we can discuss subjective impressions for the next years. That is fine with me.
I only would like to make sure that the people that buy the Paradise Kit plus the preregulator do not get the impression that they compromised.
I think with the chosen components and values the result will be excellent. There is always a tuning option though so please go ahead and try out whatever floats your boat.

Sorry seems like you are a bit upset by my post
Does it bother you that I am expressing a personal opinion based on build experience.

To me Paradise sound better with 26 V dc from the Pre regulator than with less.
Is it not useful that this is discussed?

Its ok with me :) 26Vdc is not far of the recommended (untill now) 25Vdc. All previous figures are theoretical, the figures that we are getting now are based on real experience, who can we beet that? :). I would object if figures of 30Vdc and up where recommended, I would advise caution for values of 28Vdc and above.