Paradise Builders

Hi Frans

He means his caps blew open and are dripping liquid.

The answer to that was the 'no'-part :) (e.g. It does not create 'dripping liquid'). And I do not know how to create 'dripping liquid', besides, mounting the caps polarity reversed, or using a to low a voltage rating, other than that only very bad luck will create two caps with the 'dripping liquid'-syndrome.

Last edited:
The answer to that was the 'no'-part :) (e.g. It does not create 'dripping liquid'). And I do not know how to create 'dripping liquid', besides, mounting the caps polarity reversed, or using a to low a voltage rating, other than that only very bad luck will create two caps with the 'dripping liquid'-syndrome.

little correction, 4 ones. 2 on board "1" in minus stage and 2 ones on board "2" in plus stage. But I will recheck today at home.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

little correction, 4 ones. 2 on board "1" in minus stage and 2 ones on board "2" in plus stage. But I will recheck today at home.

Did you check your caps voltage rating ?

What is the voltage rating of the caps that blew ?

What caps are you using ? (Capacity uF Voltage rating V) it is written in the caps body.

You stated you used different caps because of the footpint...

I thougth it were the 6800 from GB that have the worng foot spacing, but it was the 4700 Caps that were wrong. So the "wet-ies" are the ones from GB = 6800/6,3V

yes exactly

Hi Alfred, change input loading to 22K and no changes in servo offset ie +5V so look like i will leave it at that. I will try to find the appropriate material for the faraday cages and re-do the groundings. Thank you so much. BTW is the picture in the build guide is your R3 ? How do you implement input loading switch if you don't mind me asking?
Quan

We need some voltage measurements.

I would visualy check all parts, remove the caps, power on and measure voltages on the empty locations of those caps.
So, I take some measurements:

First of all the power supply is +24,96V and -25,09V. OK or Not OK?

The board with the 2x 6800/10V at V+ broken
VCASCH: 14,4V
VCASCL: -14,4V
V+: +18,00V (trimmed)
V-: -18,00V (trimmed)
V- 4700uF -14,4V
V- 6800uF -5,6V
V+ 4700uF +14,4
V+ 6800uF -4V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think thats it. But why?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Alfred, change input loading to 22K and no changes in servo offset ie +5V so look like i will leave it at that. I will try to find the appropriate material for the faraday cages and re-do the groundings. Thank you so much. BTW is the picture in the build guide is your R3 ? How do you implement input loading switch if you don't mind me asking?
Quan

Hi quan,
thanks for the update, thats ok then. Yes that is my R2 build, working as advertised (in fact I had a great evening yesterday, listening to the Cowboy Junkies).
The input resistances in my case are Dale RN65 resistors (stepped 10 / 50 / 100 / 220 / 470 / 1000 Ohm) through a rotaty switch (C&K, with silver contacts). works just fine.....

Hi quan,
thanks for the update, thats ok then. Yes that is my R2 build, working as advertised (in fact I had a great evening yesterday, listening to the Cowboy Junkies).
The input resistances in my case are Dale RN65 resistors (stepped 10 / 50 / 100 / 220 / 470 / 1000 Ohm) through a rotaty switch (C&K, with silver contacts). works just fine.....

Thanks Alfred, can you post a picture how it is implemented if it is not too much trouble?
Quan