Paradise Builders

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, with 9k1 resistor we need 34.9nF to go near the 318us RIAA Standard.

I tested your 67k8ohm version with these values and it was fast in the bass.....

I don't remember why that 33.3nF value, its been years now, but I think I had used lab gen and scope response measurements which could have added some error tolerance. Or my caps were on the plus side, but it was ok in the sound system too. Anyways its additive to correct if too light footed so someone can add a bit of capacitance and decide.

If you want to have a "Loudness effect" RIAA you can use the original paradise RIAA values:
9k1 ohm ; 73k5 ohm; 33.3nF ; 11nF (More bass, more treble, mid freq dip)

For a mathematically calculated value according to S: Lipshitz formulae you can use:

9k9 ohm ; 73k7 ohm ; 32.1nF ; 11nF (Quite linear response)

For acquiring Salas build version you should use:

9k1 ohm ; 67k8 ohm ; 34.7nF ; 12nF (Lean, clean deep fast bass)

All of those work but they are system dependent.

You might want to start with 9k1ohm and 32.1nF providing you 317.79us (almost perfect RIAA 318us) and than tune the trebble cap (11nF).
Lowering this treble cap increases trebble.

The 73k7ohm resistor mostly affects bass but it is heavily related to C6a C6b C7a C7b values and capacitor types.

All curves will work but....
You can also simulate the rig and decide the best curve for your build.

73K7 and 11n, according to passive RIAA calculation should provide 75us for HF eq. No Paradise RIAA values are close to it.

Hi together,
last weekend I completed the both platina.
yesterday at the first check I found this nissue.
The brigh are open to testing the regulator

The PreReg have 26 +/Ground/26- Voltage.
If this connected with the parardise boards so its incoms 20 Voltage at the boards.
At first the LED´s under the heatshild blinking twice and shut of.

But at all testpoint i have the Voltage like the manuall.

In the maunall I read about to much load and the at 20 Voltage.
Have somebody the same issue at the start.

For your Help or Information many thanks

best regards Jens

OK, as none of the experts are around I'll have a go...
It sounds like the audio part of the board is fine, but if your supply sags when you connect it, then the regulator is not working. It could be as simple as your power transformer being faulty or too small. If the regulator part is working without the amplifier part connected (ie LEDs lit, 1.2V across the big 10R resistor) check the trannie or try a bigger one.

@ste,
Thanks to bring me to the idea to check the transformation.
Both of this R-Core 230 V / 2x24 V 30VA do not have the Power.
Yesterday i change to 4 Transformation Talema 230V/ 2x12V 7,5 /7,5 VA.
Already is fine at the Pre Reg and now by Paradise board.
All LED lightning, and the Voltage ar Testpoints are fine.

Many thanks

Best Regards jens

Hello everybody,
my Paradise with PSU and Calvin Buffer is now in use for several days.
My Combination is Audio Technica ART 9, Clear Audio Unify 9", Transrotor Amico blue. 110 Ohm Impendance...perfect match.
Its amazing what i can hear now. I am thrilled and had tears in my face for luck.
Many thanks Joachim Gerhard, Mesener, FdW and Calvin. as well as all the buiders here in the tread.

so I can look for a new Project a Phono Pre for MM Systems.

best regards jens

The 6800uF doubles are the input stage emitter bypasses, there I deleted one per side. The 4700uF doubles are part of an RC filter with 120Ω resistors for each rail, they won't influence the infrasonic curve. You may keep them all four. And yes, I deleted those 1uF. To avoid possible resonances with the large capacitors supersonic impedance which may lead to some sharpness. Again if you like the result with those 1uF, keep them.
Sound is more neutral without 1uf capacitors.

Hi to all
I wonder if I can get some help with Paradise stage I bought while ago .
Couple days ago I re-measured boards and on one of them voltage on current sensing resistor 10R( 8R2 in my case ) on plus side from time to time changes from 1.25V to 1.45-1.5V . It stays like that for a while then drops to 1.25V , all voltages on amplifier part don't seem to change , neither current draw on Calvin buffer , any idea where to look ?
It seems 18V side don't vary is just 19.2V jumps to 19.4
For most of the time it seems to sit at 1.45-1.5V but sometimes drops to 1.25V where it supposed to be
Thank you

Last edited: